Ukraine Interior Minister elaborates on plan to return occupied Donbas
Ukraine Interior Minister elaborates on plan to return occupied DonbasAvakov says Ukraine will have to pass a law on "collaborators."REUTERS
Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov says he has a plan for the return of the occupied territory of Donbas to Ukraine. It is called "tactics of small steps, which everyone applauds."
"I do not think that it is possible to reintegrate the whole territory of occupied Donbas at once. There are not enough 'blue helmets' to cover the entire territory. Therefore, I propose, conditionally speaking, to retake Horlivka or Novoazovskiy district," he said in an interview with Ukrayinska Pravda.
"The plan is this: peacekeepers are deployed on the border of the town of Horlivka or Novoazovskiy district. The border with the occupied territory should be immediately taken under control of both the 'blue helmets' and Ukrainian border guards. After the return of this territory to Ukraine, Ukrainian judicial authorities may enter and hold elections in line wtith our legislation," he said.
According to Avakov, it does not matter who wins this election: someone with frankly pro-imperial views will win local elections in most cases, he believes.
"The main thing is to form a transitional administration based on these new bodies and representatives of the state power of Ukraine elected in line with Ukrainian law. Central authority should come in there along with the Ukrainian police forces," Avakov stressed.
After that, in his opinion, Ukraine should pass an amnesty law regarding all but those "who have blood on their hands, who killed our soldiers, participated in repression against civilians."
Avakov also sai d Ukraine would have to pass a law on "collaborators."
"But the law 'on collaborators' is mandatory because it is necessary to determine the status of each person, to officially establish that they are citizens of Ukraine as anybody else. They are either victims or participant, but not critical though. Or maybe they deserve to be reprobated," he said.
Read alsoUkraine's Turchynov: Kremlin was preparing to invade Kyiv in 2014It is obvious that it will be necessary to also resolve issues with the "transitional status" of the occupied territories, he added.
"First, it will concern a certain kind of a special economic status. This territory will have to be restored after the occupation at an outstripping pace," Avakov said.
"Let's assume that the Ukrainian government has entered the separatist region or Horlivka. Accordingly, the Ukrainian police maintain public order there. And I even admit some ki nd of transitional, joint patrolling by Ukrainian security forces alongside local representatives of territorial communities delegated by local district councils," Avakov continued.
Further, the restoration of infrastructure and the improvement of living standards should start, according to the minister: restoring water, electricity supplies and renewed issuing of Ukrainian passports.
Read alsoJoint Forces Operation to be launched in Donbas April 30 - PoroshenkoAt the same time, Avakov noted that the vetting procedure should be thorough to ensure that Ukrainian passports are issued to Ukrainian nationals only.
"The second step is to repeat the same procedure in the next, neighboring five districts, for as long as we have strength and trust," Avakov added.
"If all this is implemented, then we will be able to gradually reach a point where Ukrainian border guards are deployed along the Ukraine-Russia border, ensuring full control. 'Blue helmets,' on whom Poroshenko is negotiating, will stand alongside," Avakov summed up.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter
- Home /
- 19:25 RFE/RL: Jailed Ukrainian lawmaker Savchenko resumes hunger strike
- 18:57 European Broadcasting Union sees threat to independence of Ukraine public service broadcaster
- 17:38 Ukrainian railways become profitable again
- 16:40 SBU exposes group engaged in fomenting inter-ethnic hatred in Chernihiv on Russia's order
- 16:20 EUCOM: No indication Russian air defense systems deployed during Syria m ission
- 16:00 PM Groysman: Ukraine could sign free trade agreement with Turkey in 2018
- 15:40 Ukraine sees US$ 2.8 bln in agriexports in Jan-Feb 2018
- 15:20 Russia boosts navy presence in Azov Sea, provocations possible â" Ukraine military
- 15:00 "DPR" terrorists suffer significant losses near Dokuchaievsk â" volunteers
- 14:40 Putin might hit on brake or raise stakes dramatically in Donbas - Avakov
- 14:20 Lithuanian FM: Sanctions against Russia can be extended for 12 months
- 14:00 Open contest ongoing to select head of Ukrainian Institute â" MFA Ukraine
- 13:40 Ukrainian gas reserves grow to 7.5 bcm within week
- 13:20 Russian tanks entering Ukraine that the OSCE is mandated to miss - KHPG
- 13:00 Russia's Gazprom failing to fulfill ob ligations under gas transit contract â" Naftogaz envoy
- 12:40 Ex-FBI chief says Russians may have "kompromat" on Trump
- 12:20 Ukraine Interior Minister elaborates on plan to return occupied Donbas
- 12:00 Rusal shares drop 20% on Hong Kong market against U.S. sanctions â" Russian media
- 11:40 Analysis Ukrainian interest. Syria escalation, Poroshenko's efforts, and Orban's triumph
- 11:20 Ukraine's infrastructure ministry tracks companies involved in Kerch bridge construction â" Omelyan
- 11:00 WSJ: Trump bowed to Pentagon restraint on Syria strikes
- 10:40 Analysis Week's balance: Partners recommend reforms, Groysman declares war on "secret club of subsoil users," and law enforcers go for useless searches at Ukrzaliznytsia
- 10:20 Russian journalist who wrote about Wagner mercenaries dies under suspicious circumstances
- 10:00 Group of Kyiv roofers conquer Druzhby Narodiv Arc
- 09:40 Ukraine reports 59 enemy attacks in Donbas, 2 WIAs in last day
- 09:20 German minister tells Russia its behavior must change
- 09:00 Syria bombings: Johnson warns UK must prepare for Russian retaliation
- 00:56 Syrian president lands up on Ukraine's Myrotvorets database due to his children's visit to Crimea
- 15 April, Sunday
- 22:53 CNN: Nikki Haley says more sanctions against Russia coming Monday
- 21:59 The Telegraph: Leaked EU files show Brussels cover-up and collusion on Putin's Gazprom abuses
- 20:59 Assad's three children vacation in famed youth camp Artek in Russi an-occupied Crimea
- 18:36 Mike Pence: Further use of chemical weapons in Syria will mean a "price to pay" â" media
- 16:56 Russia facing new U.S. sanctions for support of Assad regime â" Russian media
- 15:51 Russian-led terrorists in Donbas hand missing Ukrainian soldier's body over to Ukraine
- 13:41 Ukrainian surveillance drones start mission on border with Russian-occupied Crimea
- 11:55 Kyiv police report about blast near office of Akhmetov's Kyivenergo at night (Photos)
- 10:58 CNN: Satellite images show craters at alleged Syrian chemical weapons facilities
- 09:55 Donbas update: Russian-led troops use proscribed weapons, wound three Ukrainian soldiers
- 14 April, Saturday
- 23:45 Stoltenberg: All NATO allies fully supp ort joint military action in Syria
- 21:45 Ukraine reports 28 enemy attacks in Donbas, 1 WIA on April 14
- 19:45 Poroshenko considers U.S.-led coalition airstrike in Syria compelled yet justified
- 15:55 Turchynov calls air strikes by U.S., UK, France in Syria professional, appropriate response
- 13:50 Ukraine reports 1 WIA in Donbas amid 43 enemy attacks in last day
- 11:55 U.S. State Dept: Russian proxies' plans to flood coal mine in Donbas, site of nuclear test, could threaten drinking water
- 09:55 Reuters: U.S., Britain, France launch air strikes in Syria (photo, video)
- 13 April, Friday
- 23:35 Opinion Dangers of Russia withdrawal corridor from Transnistria via Ukraine
- 23:30 Ukraine's Turchynov: Kremlin was preparin g to invade Kyiv in 2014
- 23:10 Russia fully responsible for "horrendous" humanitarian costs of Donbas conflict - Volker
- 22:30 Why isnât Ukraine doing more to free its hostages â" Atlantic Council
- 21:50 National Bank expects US$9 bln in remittances from Ukraine's labor migrants in 2018
- 21:00 Ukraine must step up efforts to revive cooperation with IMF â" NBU Deputy Governor
- 20:40 Ukraine, India defense industries enhancing cooperation
- 20:30 Russian lawmakers mull stealing American intellectual property as response to U.S. sanctions
- 20:10 Poroshenko calls for stripping Russia of veto right in UNSC
- 19:50 Savchenko's lie detector test hindered over hunger strike complications
- 19:30 Joint Forces Operation to be launched in Donbas April 30 - Poroshenko
- 19:10 Russia-Ukraine natural gas spat makes cutting EU fossil fuel use urgent: European Commission
- 18:30 Lithuanian PM supports continued arms deliveries to Ukraine: report
- 17:50 Head of Poland's National Remembrance Institute says cooperation with Ukraine could be renewed
- 16:54 Forex rate artificially fixed at UAH 8/US$ amid Yanukovych's presidency exhausted gold reserves
- 16:41 Kyiv mayor to present his city at UEFA Champions League semi-final draw in Switzerland
- 16:19 Two Ukrainian banks plan merger
- 16:03 Finland grants all required permits for Nord Stream 2 construction
- 15:45 Economy ministry: Ukraine paid US$275 per 1,000 cubic meters of imported gas in March
- 15:18 Putin mulling new invasion of Ukraine in autumn â" SBU
- 14:50 NATO says Ukraine's Euro-Atlantic aspirations realistic
- 14:27 Naftogaz intensifies talks with Russia's Gazprom on gas transit after 2019
- 14:06 Ukraine MFA: "Russia escalates more in Ukraine as it is pressed more over Syria"
- 13:42 Ukrainian port may double grain handling â" media
- 13:11 NSDC to consider new sanctions against Russia next week â" Turchynov
- 12:45 OSCE: Militants in Donbas want to flood coal mine, one of 1979 Soviet nuclear test sites
- 12:13 Telegram chat app blocked in Russia â" media
- 11:54 Ukraine exports $400 mln in military products to India in three years â" Ukroboronprom
- 11:30 Ukraine, Romania agree to seek compromise on education law
- 11:02 "DPR" platoon commander killed in Donbas (Photo)
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine