UPDATE: Ukraine asks Constantinople to allow creation of independent Ukrainian Orthodox Church
UPDATE: Ukraine asks Constantinople to allow creation of independent Ukrainian Orthodox ChurchA corresponding appeal from UOC of the Kyiv Patriarchate and Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church has been signed to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.Photo from UNIAN
President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko on Tuesday, April 17, announced the start of the procedure for the creation of a unified Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
The relevant agreement was reached at 7-hour long negotiations between Poroshenko and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and Synode members held during a presidential visit to Turkey, Poroshenko said at a meeting with heads of parliamentary factions on Tuesday.
"Ukraine is as close as ever to the em ergence of its own Unified Orthodox Church," the president said, adding that he cannot elaborate on all details of the agreements reached.
A number of elements are needed for the process to see success. First, a corresponding appeal from UOC of the Kyiv Patriarchate and Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church, which has already been signed to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in a rare united move of the two churches, according to Poroshenko.
Read alsoPriests of UOC of Moscow Patriarchate reportedly pray for militants in Donbas, bless arms â" media
Poroshenko expressed hope that the new UOC would be created before the 1030th anniversary of baptism of the Kyiv Rus and called on Parliament to support the appeal to Constantinople.
The president called the developments around a possible creation of a United Orthodox Church which would not be subordinate to Moscow a "historic event."
The president ruled out the possibility of banning any other churches in Ukraine and noted that the state will remain separated from church.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter
- Home /
- 15:40 Poroshenko holds meeting with Cabinet behind closed doors â" media
- 15:20 SBU warned Yanukovych twice of Russian invasion threat â" declassified evidence
- 15:00 Interview Head of NATO Military Committee General Petr Pavel: We are heading to make Ukrainian defense forces capable and credible enough to deter any potential aggression
- 14:40 Expert assesses threat of full-scale offensive by Putin's troops in Donbas
- 14:20 Ukraine fails to fulfill two conditions for continued cooperation with IMF â" Danyliuk
- 14:00 Tuka comments on interior minister's plan for Donbas de-occupation
- 13:40 Ukraine's Cabinet prepares macro-forecast for next three years
- 13:20 Ukrainian gas transit route "strategic" to EU's security: energy chief
- 13:00 SBU interrogates Russian man who sent Wagner mercenaries to Syria
- 12:40 Ukroboronprom showcases BMP-1AK IFVs delivered from Poland (Photo, video)
- 12:20 Russian drive to replace Western technology hits snag as turbine prototype destroyed in tests - Reuters
- 12:00 âUSA Really. Wake Up Americansâ: Russia launching another propaganda outlet in U.S.
- 11:40 Knife-wielding student goes on rampage in Russian school, se ts classroom on fire
- 11:20 Ukraine's economy ministry sets up ad hoc group to monitor trade with Russia
- 11:00 Ukraine Army improves position in Global Firepower ranking
- 10:40 NATO Military Committee to visit Ukraine April 18-19
- 10:20 CIA Director Pompeo met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un over Easter weekend
- 10:00 Ukraine, U.S. winning Indian defense market over Russia - official
- 09:40 Ukraine reports 1 KIA, 3 WIAs in Donbas amid 45 enemy attacks in last day
- 09:20 Russia may block Facebook following Telegram ban
- 09:00 Ukraine refutes "fake news" about detention of Ukrainian space industry officials in U.S.
- 02:22 Minister Avakov calls on U.S. to introduce sanctions against possible contractors of Nord Stream 2
- 00:57 RFE/RL: EU lawmakers call for World Cup boycott
- 17 April, Tuesday
- 23:53 Volker on recent attack on Voda Donbasa workers: "Targeting civilians is unacceptable"
- 23:33 Bloomberg: U.S. airlines' rights to fly over Russia expire
- 22:58 Ukraine's Finance Ministry expects US$2 bln disbursement from IMF in May or June
- 21:56 Russia to adopt some of Musk's engineering solutions â" Rogozin
- 20:29 Japan traders ask Rusal to stop shipping aluminum after U.S. sanctions â" media
- 19:59 IMF: Ukraine's inflation in 2017 highest among all CIS members
- 18:40 Donetsk water filtration plant's staff bus comes under fire, five wounded
- 17:47 Reuters: Bulgaria's EIG to acquire Ergo's Ukrainian travel insurance business
- 16:40 UPDATE: Ukraine asks Constantinople to allow creation of independent Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 16:20 Transnistrian "instructors" who helped Donbas militants detained in Moldova
- 16:00 Malaysia interested in Ukrainian defense products â" Ukroboronprom
- 15:40 Ukraine ready to provide Russia with corridor for withdrawal of troops from Transnistria
- 15:20 NBU's high discount rate prevents business lending â" Groysman
- 15:00 Russian agency launches campaign to return Russian students from "unfriendly" UK
- 14:40 Armenia opposition leader announces "Velvet Revolution" amid unrest (Photo)
- 14:20 Deficit of Ukraine's foreign trade in goods 1.5 times up in Jan-Feb 2018
- 14:00 Blasts heard in militant-occupied Luhansk amid news of armored vehicles amassed for "parade"
- 13:40 NBU can transfer only UAH 44.6 bln profit to budget â" auditor
- 13:20 Armenia Police: Twenty-nine protesters detained in Yerevan clashes
- 13:00 LPG output down in Ukraine, import boost seen in Q1 2018 â" expert
- 12:40 "Do we all want to die?" - Putin's info security aide says Russia "will not forgive" cyberattacks
- 12:20 Kyiv court unlocks accounts of Yanukovych Jr's companies
- 12:00 Ukraine businesses forecast hryvnia rate for coming year
- 11:40 Business expectations in Ukraine reach 7-year high
- 11:20 G7 countries urge Russia to urgently address all questions related to Salisbury incident
- 11:00 Ukraine's large, medium-sized businesses post US$5.9 bln profit in 2017
- 10:40 Cambridge Analytica wo rk helped Brexit group - evidence
- 10:20 Russia blocks 1.8 million Amazon, Google IPs
- 10:00 Russian fleet hunts British submarine in Mediterranean â" media
- 09:40 Escalation in Donbas: Ukraine reports 52 enemy attacks, 1 KIA, 5 WIAs in last day
- 09:20 Ukraine set to woo Asian markets with Indonesia, Vietnam initiative - media
- 09:00 Germany seeks to strengthen position in Europe due to Nord Stream 2 â" diplomat
- 00:51 Mogherini: Minsk implementation remains key to any substantial change in EU-Russia relations
- 16 April, Monday
- 23:38 Terrorist leader Zakharchenko orders to scrap 'customs duties' between two 'republics' in Donbas
- 22:22 WP: Trump puts the brakes on new Russian sanctions, reversing Haley's announcement < /li>
- 21:55 Ukraine's Panov denies sabotage charges in Russia-controlled Crimea â" media
- 21:25 Reuters: U.S., UK accuse Russian government-backed hackers in global cyber campaign
- 20:42 Ukraine's new light helicopter performs maiden flight (Photo, video)
- 19:25 RFE/RL: Jailed Ukrainian lawmaker Savchenko resumes hunger strike
- 18:57 European Broadcasting Union sees threat to independence of Ukraine public service broadcaster
- 17:38 Ukrainian railways become profitable again
- 16:40 SBU exposes group engaged in fomenting inter-ethnic hatred in Chernihiv on Russia's order
- 16:20 EUCOM: No indication Russian air defense systems deployed during Syria mission
- 16:00 PM Groysman: Ukraine could sign free trade agreement with Turkey in 2018
- 15:40 Ukra ine sees US$ 2.8 bln in agriexports in Jan-Feb 2018
- 15:20 Russia boosts navy presence in Azov Sea, provocations possible â" Ukraine military
- 15:00 "DPR" terrorists suffer significant losses near Dokuchaievsk â" volunteers
- 14:40 Putin might hit on brake or raise stakes dramatically in Donbas - Avakov
- 14:20 Lithuanian FM: Sanctions against Russia can be extended for 12 months
- 14:00 Open contest ongoing to select head of Ukrainian Institute â" MFA Ukraine
- 13:40 Ukrainian gas reserves grow to 7.5 bcm within week
- 13:20 Russian tanks entering Ukraine that the OSCE is mandated to miss - KHPG
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine