In Ukraine, 286000 people live in "modern slavery"
In Ukraine, 286,000 people live in "modern slavery"In Europe and Central Asia, the figure amounts to nearly 3.6 million men, women, and children.Global Slavery Index
Around 286,000 people in Ukraine live in modern slavery, according to Global Slavery Index compiled by Australia-based NGO Walk Free Foundation.
The share of the affected population in Ukraine is 6.4 per 1,000 people, Ukrayinska Pravda reports.
The country ranks seventh among European and Central Asian states, with Turkmenistan topping the anti-rating (11.2 per 1,000 people), while Russia being at the 11 th spot (5.5 per 1,000 people).Global Slavery Index
The least affected populations are those of Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and Luxembourg (1.7-1.5 per 1,000 people).
The GSI includes data on the number of people living in conditions of modern slavery, the analysis on government response and forms of slavery, such as forced labor, forced marriage, debt bondage, and sexual exploitation.
In Europe and Central Asia, the figure amounts to nearly 3.6 million men, women, and children. The most common form is forced labor (3.6 per 1,000 people), forced marriage (0.4 per 1,000), while 36 % of victims of forced labor were in debt bondage, and 14% were cases of forced sexual exploitation, according to the survey.Global Slavery Index
At the same time, Turkmenistan, Belarus and Macedonia are recognized as countries with a high prevalence of modern slavery , while Russia, Turkey and Ukraine have the highest absolute figure of 39% of victims in Europe and Central Asia region.
Also, the authors note that in 2018 it became clear that countries with high GDP have higher rates of prevalence of modern slavery than previously thought. It's about the U.S., Australia, UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands and a number of other European states where significant gaps are seen in the protection of certain social groups such as migrants, homeless, unofficially employed, and some minorities. The gaps are being exploited by criminals and thus require urgent response from governments, according to the report.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 09:20 Donbas update: Ukraine reports 1 WIA amid 15 enemy attacks
- 09:00 In Ukraine, 286,000 people live in "modern slavery"
- 22 July, Sunday
- 22:25 Ukrainian activists march for LGBT rights in Kryvy Rih (Photo, video)
- 21:10 Ukraine to sanction Russian media outlets working in occupied Crimea
- 19:15 Two civilians injured in blast of unknown explosive device in Maryinka, eastern Ukraine
- 18:30 Rubizhne, Severodonetsk, Lysychansk mark fourth anniversary of liberation from Russian occupation
- 16:50 Reuters Exclusive: Accused Russian agent Butina met with U.S. Treasury, Fed officials
- 15:30 Two Ukrainians imprisoned in Greece for 180 years for smuggling of migrants
- 14:30 From 50 to 100 citizens of Moldova reportedly fight against Ukraine in Donbas â" media
- 13:30 Reuters: Russ ia largely wins fertilizer case against Ukraine at WTO
- 12:30 U.S. accounts for largest share of small arms exports from Ukraine in 2017
- 11:30 Ex-U.S. Ambassador Herbst: Kremlin has no right to offer Donbas referendum amid Russian aggression
- 09:30 Ukraine's army reports 15 enemy attacks in Donbas in past day
- 01:30 Ukrainian boxer Usyk wins Unified Champion of the World title in fight against Russia's Gassiev (Video)
- 21 July, Saturday
- 23:50 Dynamo win Ukrainian Super Cup 2018 in Odesa with 1-0 score
- 23:00 Ukraineâs Financial Stability Council supports concept of crypto regulation
- 22:00 Reuters: U.S. open to lifting sanctions off aluminum giant Rusal, says Mnuchin
- 21:00 More facts claim Wikileaks Russia intel tool
- 20:00 Russian security agents investigate leaks on hypersonic weapons program
- 18:00 Saboteur stopped short of blowing up train with army supplies in Ukraine
- 17:00 Microsoft exec: says company stopped Russia from hacking 3 congressional campaigns in U.S.
- 16:00 Analysis Week's balance: gas talks in Berlin, offensive on smugglers, barriers in economy
- 15:00 Ukraine in talks with U.S., EU on possible sanctions against Russian Black Sea ports over Azov Sea pressure - minister
- 14:00 Militants open fire on OSCE UAV as it spots non-withdrawn heavy weapons
- 13:00 U.S. allocates another $200 mln in security aid for Ukraine
- 12:00 Klimkin: Russia not interested in Donbas peace, seeking to ruin Ukraine
- 11:00 Ukraine introducing tighter c ontrols on roads to tackle road accidents hike
- 10:00 Donbas update: 3 Ukrainian troops wounded in enemy shelling
- 09:00 White House: Trump 'not considering' Ukraine referendum
- 20 July, Friday
- 23:50 Putin's Donbas referendum idea to run aground just like his "peacekeeping" initiative - expert
- 22:45 MFA Ukraine to summon Italian Ambassador over Minister Salvini recognizing Crimea annexation
- 22:30 Trumpâs silence on Ukraine in Helsinki bemoaned by lawmakers in DC, Kyiv - VOA
- 22:00 Russia's GRU military intel behind Salisbury poisoning â" media
- 21:30 Gas price for Ukraine industry to rise from August
- 20:45 Putin wants "convenient" candidate to win in Ukraine presidential election - MFA
- 20:30 Ukraine to produce RPV-16 infantry flamethrowers
- 19:50 Opinion Careful with that spark!
- 19:10 Full core of Westinghouse fuel achieved at Yuzhnoukrainsk nuclear power plant's unit No. 3
- 18:30 Ukraine official: "no referendum" to be held in occupied Donbas
- 17:50 Renault confirms mulling Ukraine-based production
- 16:52 Ukraine's industry on the verge of survival due to inflated tariffs on energy resources â" Palytsa
- 16:30 EU expects Ukraine to conduct transparent probe into Sheremet's murder
- 16:09 Ukraine's minister Omelyan expects EU-Ukraine Open Skies deal to be signed in spring 2019
- 15:48 Russian-led forces fire anti-tank missile at Ukraine border patrol near Mariupol
- 15:17 National Bank inspects 506 foreign exchange booths in H1
- 14:46 Two years after Sheremet's murder: Over 20 tests, four theories â" PGO
- 14:11 Another member of Russian-led forces killed in Donbas (Photo)
- 13:44 Ten dead, ten injured in large road accident in Zhytomyr region (Photo, video)
- 13:15 NBU estimates Ukraine's GDP growth at 3.2% in Q2
- 12:53 Military blogger posts photo of captured Russian soldier in Donbas
- 12:22 Ukraine doubles grain exports to China
- 11:58 Sentsov's lawyer to visit his client in August
- 11:37 EBRD approves allocation of EUR 250 mln for renewable energy projects in Ukraine
- 11:10 Trump: I'll be Putin's 'worst enemy' if U.S.-Russia relationship 'doesn't work out' - media
- 10:48 Ukraine boosts grain reserves by 35.5%, to almost 92 mln tonnes as of July 1
- 10:16 Crimean detention center ignores Balukh's serious condition â" Chiygoz
- 09:49 Trump asks security adviser to invite Putin to U.S.
- 09:21 Donbas update: Ukraine reports 1 WIA amid 18 enemy attacks
- 08:55 Ukraine's central bank cuts official exchange rate to UAH 26.47 to dollar
- 00:40 Putin says he floated Ukraine referendum during meeting with Trump â" media
- 19 July, Thursday
- 23:40 U.S. Congressman compares Putin's attempt to grab Ukraine with Stalin policies
- 23:30 ICJ reminds Russia of need to comply with demands on Mejlis
- 23:10 Sentsov asks not to spread false rumors about his force-feeding or death
- 22:50 Opinion Spies in OSCE Donbas mission: Will SMM say no to Russian participation
- 22:20 Canada to allocate US$30 mln to support Ukraine businesses
- 21:50 Moldova's new defense strategy recognizes Russian military presence "threat to national security"
- 21:10 Naftogaz hilariously mocks fake reports on its "readiness" to settle with Gazprom
- 20:30 Trump looking forward to another meeting with Putin
- 19:50 Share of agri-sector in Ukraine economy may rise to 25% - PM
- 19:10 Russia accuses of extremism daughter of already detained Crimean Tatar
- 18:30 Authorities in Ukraine to inspect forestry enterprises over roundwood smuggling allegations
- 17:50 Russia meddled in U.S. elections via Facebook, Zuckerberg confirms
- 16:58 Russia-backed Donbas militants threaten to & #039;arrest' imprisoned journalist's mother â" KHPG
- 16:46 European Commission introduces tariff quotas for 23 types of metal products, incl. 11 from Ukraine
- 16:24 Kyiv court dismisses Kyivenergo's claim for assigning debts for Naftogaz gas to Kyivteploenergo
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine