Ukraine's Turchynov: Russia considers Azov-Black Sea region important springboard for further expansion
Ukraine's Turchynov: Russia considers Azov-Black Sea region important springboard for further expansion"We are seeing Russia's efforts to unleash, in fact, a military-economic blockade of the Azov coast of Ukraine," Turchynov said.Photo from UNIAN
Russian military-political leadership considers the Azov-Black Sea region as an important springboard for further expansion, says Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, Oleksandr Turchynov.
Russia's buildup of the military presence is combined with "brutal violation of international maritime law in the Azov Sea, which manifests itself, in particular, in the illegal construction of the Kerch Bridge and the gro wing number of incidents involving the detention by Russian military of Ukrainian and foreign vessels," Turchynov said during his visit to the zone of the Joint Forces Operation where he checked combat readiness to counter Russian aggression in the south of Ukraine and organization of the Azov Sea coastal defense.
"We are seeing Russia's efforts to unleash, in fact, a military-economic blockade of the Azov coast of Ukraine," he said.
Read alsoUkraine NSDC secretary slams Donbas referendum idea
Mr. Turchynov stressed that the Mariupol direction remains one of the biggest threats in the JFO area, and "it is possible that the enemy could conduct both ground and sea landing operations along the Azov coast."
"In the southernmost confrontation zone, a steadily high number of shellings of our positions and military provocations by the Russian-terrorist troops are being observed," he pointed out.
During the meeting with t he leadership of the Ministry of Defense, JFO Command, heads of the State Border Guard Service, National Police and National Guard, Turchynov paid significant attention to boosting coastal defense and effective repelling of possible land and sea provocations by Russia.
Secretary of the NSDC of Ukraine discussed with the leadership of the Ukrainian Navy the need to set up a vessel grouping in the Azov Sea.
Read alsoUkraine seeks ways to curb Russia's creeping encroachment in Sea of Azov as tensions rise
While staying in the Mariupol port, Turchynov defined with the leadership of the State Border Guard Service a set of tasks for technical support and strengthening of the marine component in providing reliable protection of the Ukrainian southern border.
Secretary of the NSDC of Ukraine visited forward positions of the Ukrainian military in Shyrokyne, which had long been at the epicenter of Russian military provocations and shellings. There, he discussed w ith the leadership of the 36th Separate Marine Brigade combat tasks to protect the southern flank of the contact line.
According to Oleksandr Turchynov, an adequate counteraction to Russian expansion requires strengthening Ukraine's naval presence in the region by means of "relocating a part of the ship-boat Navy force, deploying additional watch posts along the coastline and at the sea, as well as rapid deployment of forces to counter Russian provocations in the Azov region."If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 17:30 Ukraine ranks sixth among Europe's largest beer suppliers in 2017
- 16:40 NABU drafts suspense notices in cases involving MPs
- 16:20 Nord Stream 2 submits application for route bypassing Danish territorial waters
- 16:01 Ukraine sees industrial prices rise by 18.1% in July
- 15:40 Collapse continues: Russia's ruble updates 2-year low
- 15:20 Hryvnia weakens to UAH 27.26 to dollar on interbank market
- 15:00 First photos posted of Ukraine's brand new Bohdana self-propelled gun
- 14:40 Ukraine national football team say no to "Moskva" Hotel booking in Czech town
- 14:20 Poltava court rules to close Maidan abductions case against Kharkiv Mayor Kernes
- 14:00 Ryanair strike hits 55,000 customers across Europe â" media
- 13:40 Peacekeepers may be deployed in Donbas as early as 2019 â" Interior Ministry
- 13:20 Ukrgazvydobuvannya cuts net profit by over 9.7%, to US$529.8 mln in H1
- 13:00 Poroshenko calls on European partners to abandon Nord Stream-2
- 12:40 Ukraine's agriculture ministry, grain exporters agree on wheat export volumes in 2018 â" EBA
- 12:20 Sentsov on verge of life and death â" Klimkin
- 12:00 Ukraine boosts petroleum products imports by over 31%, to almost US$2.8 bln in Jan-July
- 11:40 Central bank estimates volume of deposits in Ukrainian banks
- 11:20 Ukraine's Turchynov: Russia considers Azov-Black Sea region important springboard for further expansion
- 11:00 Tackling corruption: Lutsenko boasts "hat-trick" of high-profile raids in past 24 hours
- 10:40 Russia to treat another set of U.S. sanctions as declaration of economic war â" PM Medvedev
- 10:20 Analysis From prisoner to hero and back: Will Kostenko follow in Savche nko's steps
- 10:00 Another suspect in Uzhgorod's Hungarian center arson case arrested
- 09:40 Drone smugglers assault border guard in Ukraine
- 09:20 Ukraine reports 1 KIA, 2 WIAs amid 45 enemy attacks in past day
- 09:00 Norwegian developer to build Ukraine wind power sites
- 02:25 Poroshenko: Ukraine ready for mass production of ammunition it lacks most
- 01:50 Inflation in Ukraine in July 2018 recorded at 8.9% year-over-year
- 00:52 OSCE envoy on release of Sentsov: "It is urgent now"
- 09 August, Thursday
- 23:58 NABU director Sytnyk reveals details of his private visit to Poroshenko's house this spring
- 22:55 Ukraine has opportunity to boost grain exports to Saudi â" media
- 21:50 Monet ary stock in Ukraine expands to US$45.5 bln in July
- 20:52 Ukraine's human rights commissioner shares latest photos of Sentsov in Russia
- 19:58 Ukrainian central bank's net reserves shrink to US $6.8 bln in July
- 17:59 Reuters: Russia denounces new U.S. sanctions as illegal, mulls retaliation
- 16:40 U.S. sanctions looming: Aeroflot's shares fall 8%
- 16:20 Infowars: Russian TV channels shooting staged scenes with "Ukrainian Army weapons" near Debaltseve, intelligence says
- 16:00 Ukraine Ombudsperson asks Russian counterpart to transfer Sentsov to Moscow for treatment
- 15:40 Naftogaz group pays UAH 78.1 bln to state budget in Jan-July 2018
- 15:20 Russia's ruble hits 2-year low in anticipation of new U.S. sanctions
- 15:00 Ukrainian soldier killed in Donbas as enemy ATGM hits military vehicle
- 14:40 Modular towns for IDPs from Donbas becoming "depressive ghettos" â" journalists
- 14:20 Ex-U.S. envoy to Russia says U.S. mistakes don't justify Kremlin's invasion of Ukraine (video)
- 14:00 Poroshenko says Ukraine continues to fight for Crimea de-occupation
- 13:40 U.S. Senate asks Assange to testify in Russia investigation - media
- 13:20 Greece denies visas to Russian Orthodox Church's priests after worsening relations due to Ukraine
- 13:00 Kyiv authorities plan to extend pedestrian-only zone on Khreshchatyk to Bessarabska Square
- 12:40 Measles in Ukraine: 755 additional cases reported in past week
- 12:20 U.S. senator says Russians have penetrated Florida election systems â" Reuters
- 12:00 Poroshenko announces Sea Breeze expansion as tensions rise in Azov Sea
- 11:40 Anthracite coal stocks at Ukrainian TPPs shrink by 10% within week
- 11:20 White House drafting sanctions order to punish foreign interference in U.S. elections â" media
- 11:00 Acid attack on Kherson official ordered by law enforcement officers â" case memo
- 10:40 Ukraine's dwindling coffers making central bankers fret - Bloomberg
- 10:20 Ukraine, Argentina sign number of documents, incl. agreement on transfer of convicts
- 10:00 OSCE spots 24 tanks in Russian-occupied part of eastern Ukraine on Aug 6
- 09:40 Russian state banks' subsidiaries in Ukraine post largest losses in H1
- 09:20 Ukraine reports 1 KIA, 3 WIAs amid 44 enemy attacks in past day
- 09:00 Putin "schizophrenic and maniac": Ukraine official warns citizens to be prepared for any scenario
- 02:20 CNN: Trump administration slaps more sanctions on Russia after Skripal poisonings
- 08 August, Wednesday
- 23:50 RFE/RL: Poroshenko confirms 2014 meeting with Manafort team
- 22:50 Sentsov's cousin Kaplan on his condition: "Things are catastrophically bad"
- 21:58 Russian journalists killed in Africa had footage about Russia's PMC Wagner bases â" media
- 20:55 Ukrainian farmers export almost 3 mln tonnes of grain since July 1
- 19:58 Reuters: Senator Paul delivers letter from Trump to Putin
- 18:30 Money transfers to Ukraine from labor migrants grow 30%, to US$4.5 bln in Jan-May
- 17:50 U.S. intelligence officer in op-ed on Washi ngton Post: Putin is afraid of "Maidan" in Moscow
- 16:40 Ukraine paid US$288.8 per 1,000 cubic meters of imported gas in July
- 16:20 Ukraine calls on UK police to probe Graham Phillips for "terrorist activity" in Donbas
- 16:00 Kyiv's Besarabsky market to be renovated by late 2018
- 15:40 Ukraine's banking sector reports UAH 400 mln loss in Q2
- 15:20 Poroshenko: Ukraine starts assembling first experimental BTR-4 tank hull (Video)
- 15:00 Ukraine to put first GE locomotives into operation in fall
- 14:40 "Glory to Ukraine!" to become official military greeting in Ukraine's army
- 14:20 Pompeo calls on Poroshenko to fulfill outstanding IMF demands
- 14:00 SBU busts ex-militant platoon commander in Luhansk region
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine