US hands over Island-class patrol boats to Naval Forces of Ukraine
U.S. hands over Island-class patrol boats to Naval Forces of UkraineThe solemn ceremony took place on the territory of the U.S. Coast Guard "Baltimore" and was attended by Ukrainian President President Poroshenko and his wife Maryna Poroshenko.president.gov.ua
The United States has handed over two Island-class patrol boats to the Naval Forces of Ukraine.
The solemn ceremony took place on the territory of the U.S. Coast Guard "Baltimore" and was attended by Ukrainian President President Poroshenko and his wife Maryna Poroshenko, the president's press service reports.
The certificates on transfer of equipment in the presence of the president have been signed by Vice Admiral of the Coast Guard of the USA Michael Mcall ister and Commander of the Naval Forces of Ukraine Ihor Voronchenko.
"It is a great privilege for me to be here, in Baltimore. In a place of a century-long traditions. In a place, where the naval might of the United States is maintained. It is my honor to salute the men and women, who serve in the United States Coast Guard. You are carrying out the greatest mission â" protect the borders of the Homeland," Poroshenko said.
Read alsoPoroshenko calls for tougher sanctions against Russia over blocking of shipping in Sea of Azov
"This day marks another milestone in developing a strategic partnership between Ukraine and the United States," the president stressed.
He once again emphasized that the U.S. leadership, the president of the United States had once again proven to stand firmly on the guard of international law, to support a freedom-loving people in their quest for peace, democracy and independence.
"The first two 'Island ' boats will become another brick to strengthen a naval alliance between the Ukrainian and American peoples," the president said, adding that the given assistance would be supplemented by the U.S. assistance for construction of Ukraine's Navy Command Center in Ochakiv.
"Today's event clearly shows that the Strategic Partnership between Ukraine and the United States is vibrant and productive," he stressed.
According to the head of state, this alliance is already deeply rooted in the annual Sea Breeze exercise co-hosted by Ukraine and the U.S. in the Black Sea. This July it was held for the 18th time with the participation of 17 nations.
Vice Admiral of the Coast Guard of the USA Michael Mcallister noted that over the past 20 years, the Coast Guard had provided 520 assets to 75 partners under the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) program. "The program provides mutually beneficial cooperation with all partners. Our international partners can swiftly improve maritime safety and defense capability. These transfers help secure a long-term international partnership that provides global maritime security," he said.
The Vice Admiral of the Coast Guard of the USA also emphasized: "I am convinced that these boats will also serve well in the hands of the Ukrainian Navy. In the hands of skilled sailors, such as U.S. Coast Guard and Ukrainian Navy, the Island-class motor boats have proven themselves to be versatile and efficient assets. Their teams have distinguished themselves in preventing illicit trafficking, emergency response, defense operations and rescue of people in the seas."
Mcallister also told that he had served as a commanding officer at one of those ships: "Coast Guard sailors love these ships."
"It is bittersweet to watch these cutters leave our service, we are proud to see them continue their service lives and remain relevant instruments of global maritime safety and security. We look forward to beginning the transfer process and working with our Ukrainian partners to deliver these outstanding cutters that have served the United States so well," the Vice Admiral of the Coast Guard of the USA noted.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 20:50 Reuters: Once an outcast, Ukrainian Patriarch ready to lead church split from Russia
- 19:50 Sentsov transferred to hospital for 'scheduled' health checkup â" Russian authorities
- 18:59 Ukraine investigating Hungarian passports case as high treason
- 17:55 First train linking four capitals departs from Kyiv for Riga
- 16:54 OSCE's Apakan: Political will need ed for long-term sustainable solution to conflict in eastern Ukraine
- 16:33 Ukraine's army gets brand-new Butsefal armored personnel carrier (Video)
- 16:08 Large batch of arms, ammunition delivered to occupied Luhansk from Russia â" Intel
- 15:40 Opinion New Russian idol
- 15:17 Ukraine's presidential election polls vary widely on candidates' popularity â" media
- 14:55 Kyiv Mayor Klitschko vows to present e-ticket in public transport within month
- 14:26 Ecumenical Patriarch substantiates canonical, legal jurisdiction of his church in Ukraine â" media
- 14:02 Azerbaijan-Ukraine ties reach level of strategic partnership â" media
- 13:41 Number of residents poisoned by tap water in Russian-occupied Donbas sharply increased
- 13:14 OSCE: Russian-led forces use Luhansk airfield as shooting range
- 12:50 EIB to allocate EUR 50 mln loan to Ukrzaliznytsia, Ukravtodor
- 12:29 Poroshenko: U.S. world leader in providing practical assistance to Ukrainian Armed Forces
- 12:03 Female terrorist aka Sirena killed in Donbas (Photo)
- 11:42 Third GRU agent who carried out Skripal reconnaissance mission identified by secret services â" media
- 11:16 U.S. hands over Island-class patrol boats to Naval Forces of Ukraine
- 10:47 Kyiv court rejects Russia's court rule on debt recovery from Ukrinterenergo for electricity supplies to occupied Donbas
- 10:18 U.S. regulator sues Musk for fraud, seeks to remove him from Tesla â" media
- 09:51 Klitschko: Kyiv becoming world boxing capital
- 09:20 Donbas updat e: Ukraine reports 22 enemy attacks in last day
- 08:55 Reuters: Oil prices edge up amid uncertainty over fallout from Iran sanctions
- 27 September, Thursday
- 23:32 NBU cuts official forex rate to UAH 28.29 to dollar for Sept 28
- 22:58 Germany to host UEFA EURO 2024
- 22:16 NBU considering launching state digital currency tied to local fiat â" media
- 21:40 OSCE: 79th Russian convoy crossed into Ukraine, returned through Donetsk Border Crossing Point
- 21:07 Hundreds protesting in Kyiv demanding not to ignore attacks on activists (Photo, video)
- 20:21 Ukraine's Sentsov nominated for 2018 Sakharov Prize â" media
- 19:53 Odesa court arrests three suspects in attempt on activist Mykhailyk
- 19:10 Kyiv authorities again ban sa le of alcohol at night
- 18:30 S&P Global Platts: Ukrainian corn exports to EU up 2.8% to 1.19 million mt on marketing year
- 17:44 Latvia increases size of OSCE Ukraine observer mission â" media
- 16:59 CEO of IKEA Southeast Europe says Ukraine moving in the right direction
- 16:29 Ernst&Young assesses state stake in Centrenergo at US$225.5 mln
- 15:55 SBU probing into issue of Hungarian passports to Ukrainian citizens in Zakarpattia
- 15:35 Trending Lozhkin signed an Agreement with the American Jewish Committee
- 15:26 Ukraine boosts steel output in August, climbs to 12th place in WSA's rating
- 14:57 Sentsov's recent message from Russian jail: "Nothing lasts forever"
- 14:28 U.S. Congress' lower chamber supports allocation of $250 mln for Ukraine's security needs
- 13:57 Klimkin: Resolution on UN peacekeepers in occupied Donbas drafted long time ago
- 13:30 EU quotas for exports of certain Ukrainian agri-products used in full
- 12:58 New disaster in Russian occupation zone: 43 poisoned by tap water in Makiyivka
- 12:41 WTO cuts world merchandise trade forecasts for 2018 and 2019 â" media
- 11:55 Ukraine to get four French helicopters for rescue operations by year-end
- 11:27 Poroshenko calls on UN General Assembly to promptly address militarization of occupied Crimea
- 10:56 Swiss asset management company buys stake in Ukraine's Bank Lviv
- 10:25 Ukraine boosts dairy exports by 8.4% in Jan-Aug
- 09:55 Poroshenko calls for tougher sanctions against Russia over blocking of shipping in Sea of Azov
- 09:23 Russian-led forces in Donbas resort to IFVs, use banned weapons twice in past day
- 08:55 Reuters: Oil prices rise 1 percent ahead of U.S. sanctions against Iran
- 00:02 Ukrainian, Croatian presidents discuss energy security in Europe
- 26 September, Wednesday
- 23:41 Klimkin: SzijjÃ¡rtÃ³ assures Hungary to change title of its authorized envoy "for Transcarpathia"
- 23:13 Fabrizio Ravanelli resigns from Arsenal Kyiv boss position â" media
- 22:45 NBU cuts official forex rate to UAH 28.14 to dollar for Sept 27
- 22:04 SzijjÃ¡rtÃ³: If Ukraine expels Hungarian Consul in Berehove, Hungary will also expel consul
- 21:17 Bellingcat: Skripal suspect Boshirov identified as GRU Colonel Anatoliy Chepiga
- 20:26 Ukraine, UNICEF and UNOPS launche s pilot project providing baby boxes for Ukrainian families
- 19:52 Ukraine tests new armored recovery vehicle â" media
- 19:09 Ukrainian ranks 8th among 10 most spoken languages in Europe (Infographics)
- 18:30 Volker hands over Poroshenko copy of declaration on non-recognition of Russia's annexation of Crimea
- 17:48 U.S., Ukrainian officials discuss efforts to counter Russia's 'malign influence' â" media
- 16:55 U.S. Embassy: Ceasefire in Donbas depends on Russia's decision
- 16:40 Ukraine imports cars worth almost US$1.4 bln in Jan-Aug
- 16:20 Naftogaz sees over $110 mln in losses over Gazprom's refusal to comply with arbitration award
- 15:53 Head of Moscow-controlled Ukrainian Orthodox Church lands up on Myrotvorets database
- 15:21 Naftogaz CCO: G as reserves enough for 2018/2019 heating season
- 14:53 European Commission says Facebook, Google agree to tackle fake news â" media
- 14:20 French Decathlon to open first store in Ukraine in Q1 2019
- 13:58 Naftogaz creates three subsidiaries to sell gas to industry, heat suppliers, households
- 13:36 European Broadcasting Union calls for appropriate funding for UA:PBC
- 13:17 Bloomberg estimates Akhmetov's assets at US$5.9 bln
- 12:47 Ukraine sees almost US$420 mln budget surplus in Jan-Aug, 70% down y-o-y
- 12:25 Energy Community welcomes proposed changes to Ukraine's gas transmission tariff methods
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine