Croatian peacekeeping model best for Donbas â" Ukraine's ministry for occupied areas
Croatian peacekeeping model best for Donbas â" Ukraine's ministry for occupied areasThe future mission in Donbas should include from 25,000 to 50,000 peacekeepers.REUTERS
Advisor to Ukraine's minister for temporarily occupied territories and internally displaced persons, ex-Ambassador to Croatia Oleksandr Levchenko says a UN peacekeeping mission in Donbas should be deployed according to the "Croatian model."
"The ministry for temporarily occupied territories has once again analyzed the use of peacekeeping missions around the world. Having studied dozens of cases, we have come to the conclusion that the Croatian model would be the best for us from among all those that we have seen. Scenarios of events in Donbas and Croat ia are very similar, although the difference is a 23-year lapse," he said at a press conference in Kyiv, an UNIAN correspondent reports.
According to Levchenko, the peacekeeping mission could follow Croatia's pattern.
Read alsoKlimkin: Resolution on UN peacekeepers in occupied Donbas drafted long time ago
"We have expressed the ministry's view in support of an international transitional administration that heads the international mission. This is an important and crucial component," he said.
Levchenko said a peacekeeping mission, as a rule, has three components â" the military (70%), police (15%) and civilian one (15%).
"Since the full deployment of all military and police units, the transitional administration takes full control of the territory under the mandate for the future owner of this land â" the Ukrainian state," he said.
"The peace plan for Donbas is the Minsk deal. There are no other documents t hat would be considered by the international community, therefore the fulfillment of the clauses of these agreements is, in fact, the finale for the temporarily occupied territories to be returned by peaceful means. We believe the future wording of a UN Security Council resolution [on a UN peacekeeping mission in Donbas] should incorporate a provision on the importance of this mission for facilitating the fulfillment of the Minsk agreements by the parties," the diplomat added.
According to him, rough estimates show that the future mission in Donbas should include from 25,000 to 50,000 peacekeepers.
"I do not exclude that 30 or even more countries will join in the international mission in Ukraine," Levchenko added, stressing the Russian Federation cannot participate in the UN mission in any way.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 22:30 Militarization in Azov region could lead to destabilization in Black Sea â" Mogherini
- 21:50 Industrial output in Ukraine down 1.3%
- 21:10 Ukraine's anti-corruption watchdog probing massive embezzlement from state bank: MP in focus
- 20:30 Russia reveals essence of sanctions against Ukraine
- 19:50 Ukraine, Poland foreign ministers discuss renewing search for remains of fallen Polish troops
- 19:10 Sanctions announced: How will Russia hit Ukrainian economy
- 18:30 Agrarian Ministry raises forecast for Ukraine's grain harvest in 2018
- 17:50 Opinion Will Rada take back Supreme Court's gift from owners of cars with EU plates?
- 16:54 Ukrainian w inemakers ready to give up names 'champagne' and 'cognac'
- 16:32 Croatian peacekeeping model best for Donbas â" Ukraine's ministry for occupied areas
- 16:07 Naftogaz to invest over US$1.2 bln in gas production
- 15:41 EU informs PM Groysman about concerns over Ukrenergo
- 15:13 Kremlin says sanctions against Ukraine not to affect Ukrainians in Russia
- 14:46 Court in Malaysia imposes RM300,000 bail on Ukrainian facing drugs charge â" media
- 14:19 Russian Orthodox Church responds to Constantinople over no-choice statement
- 13:48 Turkey's leader says signs show Khashoggi killing planned â" media
- 13:20 Kyiv sees rise in price of apartments on primary, secondary markets in Q3
- 12:55 PM Groysman rules out further increase in gas prices for households
- 12:27 Sentsov likely to win 2018 Sakharov Prize â" journalist
- 12:04 Russia furiously reacts to idea of renaming Crimea
- 11:42 Ukraine boosts fruit, berry exports by 40% in Jan-Sept
- 11:11 Russian media start dubbing Zakharchenko 'criminal' (Screenshot)
- 10:43 Explosive device found at residence of George Soros, liberal philanthropist and target of far right â" media
- 10:16 Ukraine sees 5.5% rise in retail trade in Jan-Sept
- 09:48 Environmental disaster in occupied Crimea: Titan resumes work
- 09:20 Donbas update: Ukraine reports 12 enemy attacks in past 24 hours
- 08:55 NBU strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.08 to dollar
- 02:15 Aslund: $8 bln in additional government borrowing probable after new Ukraine-IMF de al
- 01:40 FT: Ukraine plans to sell fresh dollar-denominated debt
- 01:20 OSCE monitor: Political will could end eastern Ukraine conflict quickly â" media
- 00:40 Trump threatens to build up U.S. nuclear arsenal against China, Russia â" media
- 22 October, Monday
- 23:54 Naftogaz expected to pay almost US$4.6 bln to budget in 2019
- 22:59 Montenegro, Albania, Norway, Ukraine align with EU's prolonged sanctions over Crimea, Donbas
- 21:56 Reuters: Ukraine takes Armenia and Kyrgyzstan to WTO over steel pipe duties
- 20:57 G7 Ambassadors welcome IMF-Ukraine agreement on new cooperation program
- 19:55 Ukraine interested in Australia's space-related programs
- 18:25 Ukraine to repay about US$5.5 bln in debt obligations in 2019-2020
- 17:30 Shaky alliance in support of Ukraine
- 16:50 Putin imposes sanctions against Ukraine
- 16:40 Russian FSB recruits high profile Ukrainian businessman to create political party â" SBU
- 16:20 Ukraineâs hryvnia strengthens due to new IMF program
- 16:00 Most Ukrainians say 'no' to idea of swapping Crimea for Donbas peace - Poll
- 15:40 Finland moves to boost its naval power in Baltic Sea hotspot - media
- 15:20 Swiss Supreme Court rejects Russia's complaint in dispute with Ukrnafta over property seized in Crimea
- 15:04 CN LeoGaming launched payment acceptance in favor of Viber Out in Ukraine
- 15:00 "Badaboom" for invaders: Ukrainian officer posts video of UAV strike on militant positions
- 14:40 OSINT group sugge sts Russian security forces behind mass murder in Kerch
- 14:20 Some 42.3% of Ukrainians believe Russian-occupied Crimea to return to Ukraine â" survey
- 14:00 S&P predicts hryvnia exchange rate for next 3 years
- 13:40 New Local Orthodox Church in Ukraine: Explained
- 13:20 Gas reserves in Ukraine grow by over 9 bcm from April 9
- 13:00 S&P affirms Ukraine ratings at 'B-/B' with stable outlook
- 12:40 Ukraine builds, repairs 6,500 km of roads over 3 years â" PM Groysman
- 12:20 Toronto unveils Holodomor Memorial (Photo)
- 12:00 Kyiv Patriarchate says Constantinople will never recognize Belarusian Autocephalous Church
- 11:40 Journalist suggests "only way" to stop Putin
- 11:20 Police open criminal case over provocative anti-Hungarian billbo ards in Zakarpattia region
- 11:00 Expert explains Russia's glorification of eliminated Donbas terrorists
- 10:40 Fake news debunked about Ukrainian Army "deploying Polish troops to Donbas"
- 10:20 Latvian envoy explains NATO move to reinforce contingent in Baltics
- 10:00 Saudi foreign minister says killing of Khashoggi was "tremendous mistake" - CNN
- 09:40 Ukraine cooperates with int'l financial partners to pay off debts rather than accumulate them â" Groysman
- 09:20 JFO: Ukraine reports 3 WIAs in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 09:00 Moscow will regard military attack on Belarus as attack on Russia - Envoy
- 21 October, Sunday
- 23:30 Poroshenko congratulates Patriarch Filaret on 23rd anniversary of enthronement
- 22:2 0 Ukrainian seasonal workers in Estonia struggling to get paid - media
- 21:00 Enemy fire in Donbas wounds 3 Ukrainian soldiers on Sunday
- 19:40 Ukraine Army getting new powerful MLRS (Photo)
- 18:20 Analysis Week's balance: gas price hike, IMF agreement, and budget battles
- 17:20 Anti-sabotage drills: Ukrainian spec-op troops penetrated country's biggest ammo depots - journalist
- 16:20 Russian firms test non-dollar deals to sidestep U.S. sanctions
- 15:20 Ammo depot fire aftermath: 96% of affected area cleared, explosions stop
- 14:20 Provocative billboards spotted in Zakarpattia amid row with Hungary
- 13:20 Autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church crosses out Kremlinâs neo-imperial project â" Archbishop
- 12:20 Trump vows to pull out of nuke treaty with Russia
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine