Klimkin: Budapest's position on language harms ethnic Hungarians in Ukraine
Klimkin: Budapest's position on language harms ethnic Hungarians in UkraineKlimkin says he has never acted against the Hungarian community.Photo from UNIAN
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin says the current position of Budapest regarding the language harms ethnic Hungarians in Ukraine.
"I am absolutely convinced the current position of Budapest on the language really harms Ukrainian Hungarians. For example, what are the prospects for children from Berehove if they cannot make up two sentences in the national language upon leaving school?" Klimkin wrote on Facebook.
Read alsoHungary's foreign ministry summons Ukrainian ambassador â" media
"Tomorrow I'm going to visit Uzhgorod. The Society of Hungarian Culture of Zakarpattia has invited me to its meeting... It will be especially important for me to talk to those Ukrainian Hungarians whose interests are directly affected by the current tensions between Budapest and Kyiv," he said.
Klimkin noted he had never acted against the Hungarian community.
"Yes, I am debating with the official Budapest on the issues related to teaching the national language; I have strongly condemned the mass issuance of Hungarian citizenship (done secretly, which especially annoys me), but I have never acted against the Hungarian community â" either de facto or de jure! On the contrary, I have always argued there is no reason for accusing Hungarians with dual citizenship of treason or separatism," the minister said.
Read alsoOver 300 officials get Hungarian passports in Ukraine's Zakarpattia region â" Myrotvorets database
According to the minister, he calls on the sides to solve the situation with du al citizenship in such a way as not to harm people who have already got two passports.
"After all, I was the first who proposed debates on how to solve the problem, even by considering the possibility of the reasonable and balanced use of dual citizenship. But for some reason, my critics do not see this," Klimkin said.
As UNIAN reported earlier, Hungary has been blocking the holding of meetings of the Ukraine-NATO Commission, claiming the alleged violation of rights of Hungarians living in Ukraine over the provision of the new education law making Ukrainian language the language of instruction in the education process.
In particular, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Hungary, Peter Szijjarto, demanded that Ukraine amend the law on education and postpone its implementation until 2023, otherwise Budapest will block important meetings for Ukraine at the level of the European Union and NATO.
In addition, after the situation with the secret distribution of Hungarian passports to Ukrainians in Zakarpattia region, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said that Ukraine could expel the Hungarian Consul in Berehove and would continue implementing the pro-Ukrainian policy in the region. In turn, Szijjarto threatened to resort to new measures to hinder the European and Euro-Atlantic integration of Ukraine.
On October 4, the Hungarian Consul in the town of Berehove was declared persona non grata. He had to leave the territory of Ukraine within the following 72 hours. In a retaliation move, Hungary announced the expulsion of the Ukrainian Consul in Budapest.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 17:50 Opinion Russia's proposal for EU is to forget about Ukraine and "admire the spires&q uot;
- 16:54 Ukrainian farmers thresh 47 mln tonnes of grain as of Oct 11
- 16:30 Ukraine's JFO: Russian border guards detain Ukrainian fishermen
- 16:02 Ukraine holding military drills to defend Azov Sea coast (Video)
- 15:47 Operating license of Zaporizhia NPP's reactor 4 extended for another decade
- 15:25 OSCE spots trucks carrying anti-aircraft gun in Russian-occupied Donbas
- 14:58 Klimkin: Budapest's position on language harms ethnic Hungarians in Ukraine
- 14:31 Ukraine's Patriarch Filaret urges church heads to prepare for election of head of new independent church
- 14:06 Sweden's H&M signs lease agreements with Kyiv-based Ocean Mall
- 13:44 China interested in poultry meat imports from Ukraine
- 13:20 Atlantic Council: Why can't Ukraine kill corruption?
- 12:53 Ukraine's interior minister vows tough reaction to religious strife, extremism
- 12:29 Russia aggressively reacts to Constantinople's decision on autocephaly of Ukrainian church (Video)
- 12:05 Trending IMF confirms Ukrainian economists forecast â" economist Borys Kushnyruk
- 11:42 Ukrainian farmers raise US$157 mln through crop receipts
- 11:17 Ukraine cuts honey exports by 40% in Jan-Sept
- 10:48 Kyiv Patriarchate expects to get tomos on autocephaly in November (Video)
- 10:11 U.S. State Department: Russia must cancel illegal sham elections in Donbas
- 09:46 Donbas war update: Ukraine reports 27 enemy attacks in past 24 hours
- 09:20 NBU strengthens official forex rate to UAH 27.98 to dollar
- 11 October, Thursday
- 23:50 Ukrainian government agencies targeted in another cyber attack â" SBU
- 23:10 Putin has lost Ukraine â" Kurt Volker
- 22:30 Over 25,000 ha of farmland given to Ukrainian state for free after owners' death
- 21:50 Ukraine's prosecutors probing into involvement of Ukrainian companies in construction of Kerch Strait Bridge
- 21:10 Ukraine, Moldova agree on supply, modernization of military equipment
- 20:30 Ukrainian central bank's net international reserves shrink to almost US$6.3 bln in Sept
- 19:50 Hungary accuses Ukraine state of lying it has nothing to do with website listing dual nationals
- 19:10 Russia seeks to crush Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Crimea f or helping resist Russification - KHPG
- 19:05 Ecumenical Patriarchate proceeds to granting autocephaly to Church of Ukraine: Synod decision
- 18:30 Designers reveal missile boat to be manufactured for Ukrainian Navy
- 17:50 Naftogaz pays almost $3.41 bln in taxes
- 16:53 Actual inflation in Ukraine higher than central bank's forecast due to fuel prices, comparative basis
- 16:34 Russian-led forces fire on OSCE patrol near Donetsk Filtration Station â" JFO HQ
- 16:11 Kremlin opposes possible autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 16:00 Constantinople Patriarchate never handed Kyiv to Moscow to become Russian canonical territory - DW
- 15:48 Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate reinstates Ukraine's patriarch Filaret, Archbishop Makariy â" media
- 15:17 Hryvnia sets below UAH 28 to doll ar on interbank market
- 14:52 RFE/RL: Soyuz booster failure sends space crew back to Earth in emergency landing
- 14:26 Bloomberg: 'Bitcoin and guns, that's the only way to save Ukraine'
- 14:08 Ukraine's money supply grows by 1.2 % in Sept
- 13:40 Trump, Putin may meet again in Helsinki next year â" media
- 13:13 Myrnohrad hospital's surgical unit in eastern Ukraine reopens after EIB-funded repairs
- 12:45 Ukrainian agri-businesses need US$6 bln if land moratorium lifted â" MP
- 12:19 Record-breaking Hurricane Michael batters Florida Panhandle â" media
- 11:53 Ukraine sells 84 facilities since start of small-scale privatization campaign
- 11:27 Ukraine's energy ministry forecasts consumption of gas, coal will grow in 2019
- 11:04 Owners of imported cars with foreign registration blocking Kyiv streets in protest against fuel price hikes
- 10:46 Ukrainian budget's general fund falls short of US$3.3 bln in proceeds in nine months
- 10:21 JFO: Two Ukrainian soldiers killed in landmine blast in Donbas in past day
- 09:58 New chemical leaks reported in Russian-occupied Crimea
- 09:20 NBU strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28 to dollar
- 08:55 Reuters: Oil extends losses as other markets fall, stockpiles climb
- 10 October, Wednesday
- 23:40 U.S. base in Syria huge thorn in Russia's side â" but it can't do much more than complain about it
- 23:20 Over 100 Ukrainian SMEs get UAH 380 mln in loans from German-Ukrainian Fund
- 23:00 Britain lists FTA agreement with Ukraine among priorities
- 22:45 Russian website names third person allegedly involved in Skripal poisoning
- 22:40 Ukrainian tanks, APCs successfully pass tests in Thailand - NSDC
- 22:30 Ecumenical Patriarchate preparing to announce decision on autocephaly of Ukrainian church
- 22:10 Trump nominee draws scrutiny for ties to Ukrainian energy interests
- 22:00 Ukraine presents new armored recon vehicle Mongoose
- 21:20 Poroshenko signs off law on increasing social protection of military
- 20:40 IKEA mulls opening second store in Ukraine
- 20:00 Naftogaz counts $9 mln of Gazprom's overpayments for gas transit as payment for debt
- 19:20 Putinâs spox declines to explain Surkov's vows to raise wages in so-called "DPR"
- 18:35 Ukraine holds large-scale exercises in the Sea of Azo v (photo)
- 18:00 Decision on tomos for Ukraine church to be taken "when the time comes" - member of Constantinople Synod
- 16:55 Hungary's foreign ministry summons Ukrainian ambassador â" media
- 16:45 IMF expects inflation in Ukraine to slow to 9% in 2018
- 16:30 IMF improves forecast of Ukraine's economic growth to 3.5%
- 16:14 Ukraine sees 11% decline in vehicle output in Jan-Sept
- 16:06 Ukraine to create new border guard squad on border with Russia
- 15:52 Chair of CoE's ministerial body backs arguments on illegality of sanctions against Russia in PACE
- 15:27 S&P Global Platts: Ukrainian Jan-Sep coal imports down 20% on-year to 15.6 million mt
- 15:09 Akhmetov's Kyivenergo demands compensation from Kyiv for upgrading of heating networks â" media
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine