MFA Ukraine admits new territorial dispute with Russia could arise if agreement on Azov Sea denounced
MFA Ukraine admits new territorial dispute with Russia could arise if agreement on Azov Sea denouncedWaters in the Sea of Azov belonging to Ukraine and Russia were clearly defined in the Agreement.facebook.com/smpopko.ksv
Ukraine can get a new territorial dispute with the Russian Federation in case it denounces the Agreement on cooperation in the use of the Sea of Azov and the Kerch Strait, according to Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for European Integration Olena Zerkal.
The diplomat believes that the corresponding agreement between Ukraine and Russia was concluded illegally from the point of view of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. âBut it's the Tribunal that is to give an answ er to this and we are waiting for this answer next year,â Zerkal said at an ICTV panel show.
"We also argue that, according to the international maritime convention, its application extends to the Sea of Azov," Zerkel said.
"As for the deal itself, it really consists of five articles. One of these articles was never implemented, namely, the delimitation of the Sea of Azov. However, the parties have identified extreme points, that is, where the Ukrainian zone begins and where the Russian zone begins, and where it ends. And we assume that the legal regime of the Sea of Azov is set according to the international maritime convention," stressed the diplomat.
Read alsoRussia may escalate situation in Black Sea â" Ukraine Navy Commander
When asked what would change if Ukraine unilaterally denounced the agreement, Zerkal said: âNow, as in 2014, nothing can influence our legal position. In terms of additional rights, Ukraine will get nothing. What we could get is a new territorial dispute with the Russian Federation on the delimitation of the Sea of Azov.â
As UNIAN reported earlier, Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin promised that Ukraine would revise the entire treaty base with the Russian Federation, and the plan is to gradually terminate interstate treaties.
UNIAN memo. In December 2003, Russia and Ukraine signed an Agreement on Cooperation in the Use of the Sea of Azov and the Kerch Strait. However, the issue of sharing waters has not yet been resolved. Kyiv insisted on drawing a dividing line based on the administrative border between the former Soviet Union and the Ukrainian SSR, which is indicated on the maps and plans. The Russian side believes that in accordance with the legislation of the former USSR, the internal waters between the republics of the Union were never delimited.
Read alsoStratfor: Ukraine and Russia take their conflict to the sea
On September 14, 2016, Ukrai ne initiated a dispute with Russia regarding the violation of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
In a statement, the Foreign Ministry noted that Kyiv is ready to prove in arbitration that Russia boldly violates Ukraineâs sovereign rights to enjoy guaranteed rights in its waters and on the continental shelf in the areas adjacent to Crimea, including the right to the natural resources of the continental shelf.
On February 19, 2018, Ukraine submitted to the International Tribunal a memorandum containing a statement of all the circumstances on which Ukraineâs position is based, as well as their legal justification.
In May of this year, Russia filed with the International Tribunal its objections to the jurisdiction. For this reason, in August, the arbitration decided to divide the case into two components - on jurisdiction and in the merits.
The Foreign Ministry considers unfounded Russia's objections regarding the jurisdiction of the Arbitration to consider its claim.
The UN Tribunal in June 2019 will begin hearings on the jurisdiction of consideration of Ukraine's to the Russian Federation for violation of the Convention on the Law of the Sea.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 11:00 Trump ready to "respond to questions" in Russia collusion case
- 10:40 Analyst: Russia seriously perceives Ukraine's probable membership of NATO
- 10:20 Flow of Ukrainian workforce to Poland decreasingâ" media
- 10:00 MFA Ukraine admits new territorial dispute with Russia could arise if agreement on Azov Sea denounced
- 09:40 UN Security Council to discuss Donbas Oct 30
- 09:20 JFO: Ukraine reports 1 WIA in Donbas on Monday
- 09:00 Russia may escalate situation in Black Sea â" Ukraine Navy Commander
- 04:05 Floating dock sinks after accident with Russia's only aircraft carrier, casualties reported
- 29 October, Monday
- 23:50 About 20 people detained in Bulgaria for sale of Bulgarian passports to Ukrainians, Moldovans
- 22:55 AP: Venice hit by high tide as Italy buffeted by winds; 6 killed (Photos)
- 21:55 RFE/RL: Russia plans missile-firing exercise off Norway amid NATO drills
- 20:58 PM Groysman: About 7 mln households in Ukraine entitled to utilities subsidies
- 19:59 Activist survives attack in Dnipropetrovsk region: Smashed in head with brass knuckles (Photo)
- 18:40 Reuters: Oil dips as Russia signals output will stay high
- 17:58 Merkel not to seek re-election as party chairwoman, plans to remain chancellor until 2021 â" media
- 16:40 Ex-NBU head Gontareva becomes fellow at Institute of Global Affairs
- 16:20 Kremlin calls upcoming Putin-Trump meeting "synchronization of positions"
- 16:00 Russian MFA: Ukraine's accession to NATO "possible"
- 15:40 First official U.S. trade mission arrives in Ukraine after 10-year pause
- 15:20 Ukraine, Kazakhstan sign treaties on extradition, legal assistance in criminal matters
- 15:00 Ukraine-U.S. trade sees 16% growth â" economy minister
- 14:40 No Ukrainians on board crashed Lion Air jet â" Ukraine MFA
- 14:20 Ukrenergo Supervisory Board members to get US$48,342 in remuneration annually
- 14:00 Yanukovych 039;s lawyer asks court to renew investigation, interrogate 13 witnesses
- 13:40 Fitch affirms Ukraine at "B-", outlook stable
- 13:20 Khashoggi murder: Britain "knew of kidnap plot and begged Saudi Arabia to abort plans" â" media
- 13:00 Ukraine, Moldova to integrate energy markets
- 12:40 National bank strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.26 to dollar
- 12:20 Russian disinformation on Facebook targeted Ukraine well before 2016 U.S. election - WP
- 12:00 Gas reserves in Ukraine grow by over 9.6 bcm from April 9
- 11:40 Latvia's new law aims to preserve national language by limiting Russian in schools
- 11:20 Poroshenko to hold talks in Ankara â" media
- 11:00 Ukraine Army officer shows video of militants position being destroyed in Donbas
- 10:40 Ukraine MFA checking whether any Ukrainians were on board crashed Lion Air jet
- 10:20 CAR rebels demand Russian mercenaries be pulled out - media
- 10:00 Ukraine border guards detain Briton from Interpol wanted list
- 09:40 Georgia to hold second round of presidential elections
- 09:20 Donbas update: One Ukrainian soldier wounded in past 24 hours
- 09:00 Lion Air Boeing 737 crashes off Indonesia coast
- 28 October, Sunday
- 23:15 Exit polls contradictory in Georgia presidential vote â" media
- 21:40 Fugitive businessman: Spies masterminding pro-Russian bloodshed coup in Ukraine (Video)
- 20:30 RFE/RL: Lavrov says Moscow preparing answers to U.S. nuclear-treaty concerns
- 19:45 Ukraine's governmen t allocates US$1.95 bln in budget subsidies for households in 2019
- 18:25 Ryanair launches flights from Kyiv's Boryspil airport to another six cities in Europe
- 16:50 WTA: Superb Svitolina bests Stephens to win 2018 WTA Finals
- 15:59 Ukraine marks 74th anniversary of liberation from German Nazi troops
- 14:50 OSCE loses drone monitoring trucks in Russian-occupied east of Ukraine
- 11:25 BBC: Leicester City owner 'on board crashed helicopter'
- 10:40 Military expert lists four steps to prevent further Russian aggression in Azov
- 09:30 Russian-led forces use banned weapons in five out of fifteen attacks on Ukraine army in past day
- 27 October, Saturday
- 23:55 Central bank strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.26 to dollar for Oct 29
- 2 3:15 Russian law enforcers in occupied Crimea hand over "notice" to Crimean Solidarity lawyers
- 21:25 Donbas update: Ukraine reports four enemy attacks on Oct 27
- 19:35 Ukraine's Cabinet publishes resolution to raise gas price for households by 23.5% from Nov 1
- 17:35 OSCE spots trucks with Russian license plates near Makiyivka in occupied Donbas
- 15:50 Analysis Week's balance: Heating season start, Putin's sanctions, and eurobonds worth $2 bln
- 14:50 Trump: Worst thing that ever happened to Russia is when I won election
- 12:55 Poroshenko appoints new SBU chief in Zakarpattia
- 11:40 Ukraine sees almost US$259 mln budget deficit in Jan-Sept
- 10:30 JFO: Ukraine reports two WIAs in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 26 October, Friday
- 23:40 Ukraine-Belarus trade turnover potential estimated at $10 bln â" Poroshenko
- 23:30 Package bomb suspect arrested in U.S., charged with 5 federal crimes
- 23:20 Ukraine's public debt down by $190 mln in September
- 22:40 Opinion EP Resolution of on Sea of Azov: Self-serving intentions or another "deep concern"
- 22:00 Trump adviser says Russia should "get out of" Crimea and eastern Ukraine
- 21:20 "Yanukovych Helipad" handed back to Kyiv municipal community
- 20:40 Lukashenko: Belarus ready to "engage" in Donbas conflict settlement
- 20:00 EU Delegation comments on Ukraine's public administration reform
- 19:20 Ukrainian prosecutors take note of new data on Kerch College shooting revealed by OSINT g roup
- 18:40 Donald Trump invites Vladimir Putin to Washington - media
- 18:00 OSCE's Hug on Russian involvement in Donbas war: "Facts speak for themselves"
- 16:53 Ukraine, France to boost cooperation in animal production
- 16:35 Merkel to visit Ukraine on Nov 1
- 16:17 New swine fever outbreaks recorded in two Ukraine's regions
- 15:54 Over half of Ukrainians say no to concessions to Putin in restoring peace in Donbas â" poll
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine