New Local Orthodox Church in Ukraine: Explained
New Local Orthodox Church in Ukraine: ExplainedIt is no longer possible to hinder the unification process, the Kyiv Patriarchate stresses.Photo from UNIAN
Press secretary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate (UOC-KP), Archbishop Yevstratiy (Zorya) says the main risk factor for the unification process of Ukraine churches would be an attempt of external intervention and influence on its individual participants to disrupt or slow down the procedure.
"It seems to me that logical and correct would be the approach to continuing the unification process that would exclude dependence on categorical destructive actions," he said, according to the Ukrainian news outlet Glavred.
According to the cleric, church unity is a voluntary process, no t a forced one. "And if someone, especially under a far-fetched pretext or the one provoked by some external forces, refuses to participate in the process or tries to block it, then I believe the unification process should move on, and such a person or persons should not become an insurmountable obstacle," Zorya said.
The archbishop expressed the opinion the efforts and steps that had already been taken by the Ukrainian churches, the Ukrainian state, and the Ecumenical Patriarchate on the path toward unity were so significant and valuable that no one in charge would allow any attempts to make the process anyone's hostage.
Read alsoAutocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church crosses out Kremlinâs neo-imperial project â" Archbishop
"It is no longer possible to hinder the unification process. After all, a strong canonical base has been created, while there is a strong will both in Ukraine and the Ecumenical Patriarchate," the UOC-KP press secr etary said, adding that there would be attempts to disrupt the process, while the ultimate "initiators of such attempts are Moscow forces both abroad and here in Ukraine."
"Therefore, our common task, both of the churches and the state, and the society as a whole, is to prevent them from enjoying even the slightest success," Zorya said.
According to the press secretary, nearly 10 bishops of the Moscow Patriarchate (MP) support the unification process, and it will be clear how many will take part in the unification council in the process of its preparation. Zorya predicts that after receiving a tomos, the majority of those who are now part of the Moscow Patriarchate will join the Ukrainian Church. "According to my forecasts, this will continue for several years and, as a result, at least two-thirds of those who are with the MP will join the Ukrainian church," he said.
In addition, Zorya said the Unification Council would elect the head of the unified church, but so far not a single candidate, except for "the candidacy of Patriarch Philaret, whom we as bishops of the Kyiv Patriarchate will nominate and support as the Patriarch of the unified church, has not been voiced by anyone." Therefore, it is hypothetically possible to say that the Council may choose any worthy hierarch from among the Ukrainian bishops to take part, Zorya said.
Read alsoMajority of Ukrainians support autocephaly of Ukrainian church â" poll
"If we talk about the possibility of electing Metropolitan Onufriy [Head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate], it should be noted so far he has not shown any desire to be a participant in the unification process. Therefore, the question is whether he may take helm of the unified local church is rhetorical," the Archbishop said.
Zorya also noted the idea of placing the autocephalous church on the Moscow Patriarchate's fairway as a way to prev ent Russian provocations is, in fact, no better than the proposals of Russian Minister Sergei Lavrov on the federalization of Ukraine or the autonomous status for the occupied Donbas.
"Our task is to do everything so that the Unified Local Orthodox Church will in no way be under the influence of Moscow in the future. Our natural ally and the Pan-Orthodox center we were guided by and will be oriented to is the Ecumenical Patriarchate. And with the Moscow Patriarchate we would like to have the same relationship as with all other local churches, which exclude the possibility of subordination to Moscow or following its political interests," Zorya said.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 15:40 Finland moves to boost its naval power in Baltic Sea h otspot - media
- 15:20 Swiss Supreme Court rejects Russia's complaint in dispute with Ukrnafta over property seized in Crimea
- 15:04 CN LeoGaming launched payment acceptance in favor of Viber Out in Ukraine
- 15:00 "Badaboom" for invaders: Ukrainian officer posts video of UAV strike on militant positions
- 14:40 OSINT group suggests Russian security forces behind mass murder in Kerch
- 14:20 Some 42.3% of Ukrainians believe Russian-occupied Crimea to return to Ukraine â" survey
- 14:00 S&P predicts hryvnia exchange rate for next 3 years
- 13:40 New Local Orthodox Church in Ukraine: Explained
- 13:20 Gas reserves in Ukraine grow by over 9 bcm from April 9
- 13:00 S&P affirms Ukraine ratings at 'B-/B' with stable outlook
- 12:40 Ukraine builds, repairs 6,500 km of roads over 3 years â" PM Groysman
- 12:20 Toronto unveils Holodomor Memorial (Photo)
- 12:00 Kyiv Patriarchate says Constantinople will never recognize Belarusian Autocephalous Church
- 11:40 Journalist suggests "only way" to stop Putin
- 11:20 Police open criminal case over provocative anti-Hungarian billboards in Zakarpattia region
- 11:00 Expert explains Russia's glorification of eliminated Donbas terrorists
- 10:40 Fake news debunked about Ukrainian Army "deploying Polish troops to Donbas"
- 10:20 Latvian envoy explains NATO move to reinforce contingent in Baltics
- 10:00 Saudi foreign minister says killing of Khashoggi was "tremendous mistake" - CNN < /li>
- 09:40 Ukraine cooperates with int'l financial partners to pay off debts rather than accumulate them â" Groysman
- 09:20 JFO: Ukraine reports 3 WIAs in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 09:00 Moscow will regard military attack on Belarus as attack on Russia - Envoy
- 21 October, Sunday
- 23:30 Poroshenko congratulates Patriarch Filaret on 23rd anniversary of enthronement
- 22:20 Ukrainian seasonal workers in Estonia struggling to get paid - media
- 21:00 Enemy fire in Donbas wounds 3 Ukrainian soldiers on Sunday
- 19:40 Ukraine Army getting new powerful MLRS (Photo)
- 18:20 Analysis Week's balance: gas price hike, IMF agreement, and budget battles
- 17:20 Anti-sabotage drills: Ukrainian spec-op troops penetrat ed country's biggest ammo depots - journalist
- 16:20 Russian firms test non-dollar deals to sidestep U.S. sanctions
- 15:20 Ammo depot fire aftermath: 96% of affected area cleared, explosions stop
- 14:20 Provocative billboards spotted in Zakarpattia amid row with Hungary
- 13:20 Autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church crosses out Kremlinâs neo-imperial project â" Archbishop
- 12:20 Trump vows to pull out of nuke treaty with Russia
- 11:20 Opinion Who owns the church?
- 10:20 Donbas update: Militants open fire toward Mayorsky crossing checkpoint
- 20 October, Saturday
- 23:45 Russian Orthodox Church recognizes Patriarch Bartholomew as schismatic â" Russian media
- 22:55 Number of foreign ships' calls to ports of Russian-occupied Crimea declining â" Ukraine's ministry
- 21:45 JFO: Ukraine reports 1 WIA in Donbas on Oct 20
- 20:45 Ex-U.S. Ambassador Herbst: West should strengthen sanctions against Russia to stop its aggression
- 18:30 NBU cuts official forex rate to UAH 28.18 to dollar for Oct 22
- 16:55 Budapest to double aid to Hungarian minority in Ukraine's Zakarpattia region
- 14:15 Police reform most significant in transformation of law enforcement agencies in Ukraine: Madison
- 13:05 U.S. Secretary of State supports Ukraine in efforts to create autocephalous church
- 12:20 "Explosives were planted": Witnesses spotted suspicious men near Ichnya ammo depot
- 11:20 Day in Donbas: Militants shell Ukraine forces from mortars, grenade launchers
- 10:20 Saudi Arabia admits Jamal Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- 19 October, Friday
- 22:50 Chief military prosecutor names four versions of Su-27 crash in Ukraine
- 22:00 PP imports to Ukraine increase by 9% in January-September year on year
- 21:20 Enemy forces mortar Avdiyivka suburbs, leaving one soldier injured
- 20:40 Ukraine, IMF reach staff level agreement on new Stand-By Arrangement
- 20:00 PM Groysman: 90% of Naftogaz profits to be returned to state budget
- 19:20 Two dead in fireworks factory blast near Russia's St Petersburg (Photo, video)
- 18:40 Gas price for households in Ukraine to increase by almost a quarter
- 18:00 Opinion Scared off by surprises: why IMF is not deciding on another tranche for Ukraine
- 16:51 Revenue from small-scale privatization campaign in Ukraine estimated at US$10.2 mln
- 16:27 Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia ceases communion with Constantinople
- 16:05 Hryvnia weakens to UAH 28.20 to dollar on interbank market
- 15:49 Bloomberg: Putin, less isolated and emboldened, vows to wait out the West
- 15:13 Ukraine starts selling Chinese electric cars (Photo)
- 14:46 NYT: Serious rift in church could have big consequences in Ukraine, Russia and Greece
- 14:24 SWISS airline doubles Kyiv-Zurich flights
- 13:58 Facebook looking for manager responsible for public policy in Ukraine
- 13:35 Naftogaz Trading starts selling gas
- 13:07 Crimea's Kerch bids farewell to shooting-spree victims
- 12:40 Heating, hot water tariffs increased in two Kyiv's d istricts
- 12:12 Oil up but set for weekly loss on stock build, trade row â" media
- 11:43 Kyiv Patriarchate says Ukrainian Orthodox lavras should belong to Ukrainian church
- 11:11 Russia mulling to use religious factor to destabilize situation in Ukraine â" analyst
- 10:48 Bill on bankruptcy procedure passed by Ukraine's Rada solves currency mortgage issue â" NBU
- 10:16 Chiygoz: Balukh already convoyed to Kerch colony
- 09:49 U.S. allows airlines to resume flights to Ukraine airports, Black Sea routes â" Reuters
- 09:20 Donbas update: Ukraine reports 16 enemy attacks in past 24 hours
- 08:55 NBU cuts official forex rate to UAH 28.03 to dollar for Oct 19
- 18 October, Thursday
- 23:50 Polandâs role in Ukraine's Energy Bridge c oncept, regional energy security â" Atlantic Council
- 23:30 Russia determined to "continue Donbas war": Volker
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine