Ukraine names pro-Russian 'Wagner mercenaries' from Moldova â" media
Ukraine names pro-Russian 'Wagner mercenaries' from Moldova â" mediaRecruitments of mercenaries began after Russia's annexation of Crimea in March 2014 and amid the conflict in eastern Ukraine between Ukrainian and pro-Russian separatist forces.rossaprimavera.ru
The Ukrainian Security Service, SBU on Monday published a list of 206 individuals who it claimed have been fighting for private military company Wagner in Syria and eastern Ukraine, among them three Moldovan citizens.
The new name revealed among the Moldovan fighters on the list was 47-year-old Serghey Prida from Soroca in north-east Moldova, Balkan Insight reported.
Prida was listed alongside two Moldovans who have been named previously - Veaceslav Apostol, who has already been killed in Syria, and Radu Donciu, an active fighter with the Wagner unit. The men's names could not be independently verified.
"Wagner's mercenaries are instruments of Russia's hybrid aggression against the rest of the world," the SBU said.
Read alsoUkraine names Moldovan fighting for Russian paramilitary unit â" media
Moldova's Security and Intelligence Service, SIS, told BIRN in April 2018 that it has identified 62 people from the country as taking part in mercenary activities in Ukraine.
Recruitments of mercenaries began after Russia's annexation of Crimea in March 2014 and amid the conflict in eastern Ukraine between Ukrainian and pro-Russian separatist forces.
"Evidence about these persons was handed over to the Prosecutor's Office of Moldova. It is worth mentioning that 17 mercenaries have been convicted by the courts of Moldova," the SIS said in April 2018.
Wagner, an Arge ntine-registered private military company, employs mercenaries who are believed to have played an important role in battles fought by pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine and, from 2016, also in Syria.
Russian officials have long admitted the presence of volunteer fighters in the Donbass region of eastern Ukraine, and in Syria, where Moscow supports the Damascus government but denies any links to the private company Wagner.
Read alsoRussia sends troops, missiles into Libya in bid to enforce stranglehold on West â" media
An investigation by RISE Moldova has also shown how Moldovan citizens have opted to fight both for the separatists in Donbass but also for Ukrainian battalions, some for money and others for ideological reasons.
Russia has recruited fighters from all over Moldova, but many come from the breakaway region of Transnistria and some from the Gagauzia autonomous region inside Moldova, according to RISE Moldova.
Ukraine also expressed ir ritation in 2017 about Belgrade's failure to stop Serbians from fighting for pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin called on Serbia in November 2017 to respect his country's sovereignty and territorial integrity by taking action to stop its citizens joining separatist forces.
In December 2017, Ukraine's security service issued arrest warrants for six alleged Serbian mercenaries. The Kyiv authorities maintain that almost 300 Serbs are still fighting in separatist-controlled areas.
The Wagner company has also a so-called Serbian platoon allegedly led by a Bosnian Serb, Davor Dragolobovic Savicic, 42, nicknamed 'The Wolf' by his men for his courage and strength.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 16:45 IMF expects inflation in Ukraine to slow to 9% in 2018
- 16:30 IMF improves forecast of Ukraine's economic growth to 3.5%
- 16:14 Ukraine sees 11% decline in vehicle output in Jan-Sept
- 16:06 Ukraine to create new border guard squad on border with Russia
- 15:52 Chair of CoE's ministerial body backs arguments on illegality of sanctions against Russia in PACE
- 15:27 S&P Global Platts: Ukrainian Jan-Sep coal imports down 20% on-year to 15.6 million mt
- 15:09 Akhmetov's Kyivenergo demands compensation from Kyiv for upgrading of heating networks â" media
- 14:43 Ukraine names pro-Russian 'Wagner mercenaries' from Moldova â" media
- 14:15 Huge convoy of military hardware spotted heading to Simferopol in occupied Crimea (Video)
- 13:51 Over half of Ukrainians ready to use deadly force to defend Ukraine â" poll
- 13:30 Ukraine showcases modernized BTR-70D with GM engines in Kyiv (Photo, video)
- 13:07 Ukraine's General Staff tightens security at ammo depots across Ukraine
- 12:46 "LPR" "special forces" get uniforms with Ukraine's SBU insignia for provocation â" NGO
- 12:12 Ukraine's army retakes village in 'gray zone' near Volnovakha (Photos)
- 11:54 Raw materials account for the lion's share of Ukrainian agri-exports in Jan-Sept â" experts
- 11:28 Sentsov among 2018 Sakharov Prize finalists
- 11:03 Trump says next summit with North Korea's Kim to come after November U.S. elections â" media
- 10:42 OSCE spots three surface-to-air missile system s in Russian-occupied Donbas
- 10:11 Ukraine's Finance Ministry borrows almost UAH 1.5 bln, US$127 mln, EUR 30 mln on domestic market
- 09:49 NBU continues to keep official forex rate at UAH 28.08 to dollar
- 09:20 Escalation in Donbas: Ukraine reports 1 KIA, 2 WIA's in past day
- 08:55 Reuters: Oil dips as IMF lowers global growth outlook; eyes on U.S. hurricane
- 09 October, Tuesday
- 23:50 Former UK foreign secretary warns about Russification of Europe
- 23:30 Infamous St. Petersburg "Troll Factory" set on fire - media
- 23:10 Ukrainian MP was in 2015 set to take lead of "Bessarabian People's Republic" â" SBU chief
- 22:40 Poroshenko on ammo depot fire: No coincidence sabotage is the main version given proximity to Russia border
- 22:00 Real Madrid launch sports school in Ukraine's Ternopil
- 21:20 Russian sabotage major version in ammo depot fire probe
- 20:40 Inflation in September slows down to 8.9% in annual terms â" Ukraine statistics agency
- 20:00 PACE refuses to amend sanctions rules in Russia favor - MP Yemets
- 19:20 Opinion What should Ukraine do to address security shortcomings at ammo depots
- 18:40 Ukraine's Fiscal Service comes under cyber attack â" statement
- 18:00 Nikki Haley resigns as Trumpâs UN ambassador - media
- 16:59 PM Groysman announces construction of modern highway in Ukraine
- 16:40 Ukraine's Fiscal Service reports about US$3.5 bln in VAT refunds in Jan-Sept
- 16:28 Second Skripal poisoning suspect awarded Hero of Russia for Ukraine â " Bellingcat
- 16:17 Ukraine cuts dairy food exports by 40% in Sept
- 16:04 Balukh suspends hunger strike amid transfer from Crimea to Russia
- 15:42 Over 300 officials get Hungarian passports in Ukraine's Zakarpattia region â" Myrotvorets database
- 15:23 Ukraine loses heavy artillery ammunition in recent ammo depot explosion in Chernihiv region
- 14:56 Chief of military unit's guards busted amid attempt to sell Mi-8 engines to Russians (Photo, video)
- 14:31 EBRD approves new five-year strategy for Ukraine
- 14:05 Ukrainian passport ranks 41st in updated Henley Passport Index 2018
- 13:40 Ukrainian road police use TruCam laser speed guns from Oct 8
- 13:14 PACE committee backs Ukrainian amendments to rules for PACE delegations
- 12:50 Russia sends troops, missiles into Libya in bid to enforce stranglehold on West â" media
- 12:29 High-ranking Ukrainian army officer predicts next steps to be taken by Putin to gain control of Ukraine
- 12:03 U.S. freezes Russian oligarch Deripaska's assets â" media
- 11:41 OSCE spots four Grad MRLs in Russian-occupied Donbas
- 11:12 Bloomberg: Putin denials mask dismay at 'laughable' spy shortcomings abroad
- 10:47 Ex-president Yushchenko may become Ukraine's envoy to Minsk talks â" Russian media
- 10:16 FT: Can Russia stop using the U.S. dollar?
- 09:48 JFO: Ukraine reports three WIA's in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 09:20 NBU keeps official forex rate at UAH 28.08 to dollar
- 09:05 Thousands evacuated after explosions at ammo depot in Ukraine' s north â" media (Video)
- 08 October, Monday
- 23:40 Google exposed user data, feared repercussions of disclosing to public - WSJ
- 23:30 âPainful processesâ cannot be avoided: Ukraine official on ukrainianizing Donbas
- 23:10 Poroshenko approves ratification of Agreement on financing Danube Transnational Program
- 22:30 Ukraine's Cabinet allocates US$4.8 mln in wages for miners
- 21:50 Second Skripal poisoning suspect identified as Dr. Alexander Mishkin
- 21:10 Zerkal tells when UN Tribunal to start deciding on jurisdiction in Ukraine's maritime claim against Russia
- 20:30 Central bank: Ukrainians sell $1.5 bln more than they purchase
- 19:50 Top Polish diplomat says Crimea, Donbas main problem in relations with Russia
- 19:10 "Clear Sky-2018& quot;: Ukraine launches exercise with participation of U.S. aircraft (Photo)
- 18:30 Britain has reportedly practiced a cyberattack to send Moscow into total blackout â" Business Insider
- 17:50 Russia seeks to thwart Ukraine elections by disinformation, cyber attacks - Poroshenko
- 16:55 Rising prices may spur Ukraine to third rate hike in October â" media
- 16:50 Ukraine's GDP growth to exceed 3% in 2018 â" economy minister
- 16:43 Krysin accused of killing journalist sent to penal colony in Donetsk region (Photo)
- 16:25 Ukraine, Turkey agree to lift restrictions on freight transport by road
- 16:16 Sales of used cars in Ukraine soar by 87% in Jan-Sept
- 16:03 Military expert warns of risk of "Crimean scenario" in Ukraine's Zakarpattia
- 15:47 Ukraine pays US$304.4 per 1 ,000 cubic meters of imported gas in Sept
- 15:20 Former Ukraine army specialist analyzes video of Zakharchenko's deadly blast (Video)
- 14:51 Ukrainian producers able to export apples to India
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine