Ukraine, Poland foreign ministers discuss renewing search for remains of fallen Polish troops
Ukraine, Poland foreign ministers discuss renewing search for remains of fallen Polish troopsKlimkin states that it's historians, not politicians, who are to deal with issues related to the countries' past.Photo from UNIAN
Foreign Minister of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin and his Polish counterpart Jacek Czaputowicz discussed steps to restore monuments and search for the remains of those killed in past wars in the territories of both countries.
Speaking at a joint press conference with Czaputowicz in Warsaw October 23, Klimkin stressed it is impossible to avoid difficult subjects in common Ukrainian-Polish history.
Such issues should be looked at "with an open heart, sincerely," to understand what ca n be done, "because the emotional context of such understanding history does not help us move forward."
"Therefore, today we talked about how we could move forward in the sense of restoring the monuments that are out there in Poland, and that, of course, are legal. We have to do this. It is also the duty of our Polish friends and colleagues. And we also have to go ahead with the search works [joint exhumation-search operations to find the remains of the fallen Poles and Ukrainians in both countries] because it is important for everyone," said Klimkin.
âWe, as politicians, should deal with the present and the future, and we should take responsibility for this, while our historians should work on the past, together. And whatever they find, we must recognize these facts honestly, with an open heart. I am ready, either alone or together with our Polish friends, to pay tribute to everyone, both Ukrainians and Poles, who died tragically in history, since this is our Christian duty," the diplomat emphasized.
"Therefore, we have agreed on how we could move forward. Now we will work more on this, and I very much hope that we can move on," Klimkin said.
Read alsoTop Polish diplomat says Crimea, Donbas main problem in relations with Russia
As UNIAN reported earlier, on February 22, Deputy Prime Minister, Ukraine's envoy to the joint Ukrainian-Polish Commission on historical issues, Pavlo Rozenko, said that Ukraine was asking Poland to restore the Ukrainian monuments destroyed on its territory, following the example of the Ukrainian side, which is investigating all acts of vandalism in respect of Polish monuments in Ukraine, and restores them.
Rozenko also said that the resumption of cooperation between Ukraine and Poland in the joint work to find the remains of the fallen Ukrainians and Poles depends on the decisions of Warsaw, including in the context of changing the law on the Institute of Na tional Remembrance, which prohibits the "ideology of Ukrainian nationalists."
UNIAN memo. On April 26, 2017, Polish nationalists dismantled a monument to UPA [Ukrainian Insurgent Army] soldiers, which had already been destroyed by vandals in the village of Hruszowice. The members of Polish nationalist organizations dismantled the monument with the permission of local authorities as "illegally installed."
Later, the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Poland stated that the monument had been dismantled legally. At the same time, the Foreign Ministry of Ukraine called the act "provocation."If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 00:05 Russian trolls get DM from U.S. Cyber Command: We know who you are. Stop it
- 23 October, Tuesday
- 23:50 Polish president slams Nord Stream 2 in Berlin visit
- 23:10 CSKA Moscow fans injured in Rome escalator accident (video)
- 22:30 Militarization in Azov region could lead to destabilization in Black Sea â" Mogherini
- 21:50 Industrial output in Ukraine down 1.3%
- 21:10 Ukraine's anti-corruption watchdog probing massive embezzlement from state bank: MP in focus
- 20:30 Russia reveals essence of sanctions against Ukraine
- 19:50 Ukraine, Poland foreign ministers discuss renewing search for remains of fallen Polish troops
- 19:10 Sanctions announced: How will Russia hit Ukrainian economy
- 18:30 Agrarian Ministry raises forecast for Ukraine's grain harvest in 2018
- 17:50 Opinion Will Rada take back Supreme Court's gift from owners of cars with EU plates?
- 16:54 Ukrainian winemakers ready to give up names 'champagne' and 'cognac'
- 16:32 Croatian peacekeeping model best for Donbas â" Ukraine's ministry for occupied areas
- 16:07 Naftogaz to invest over US$1.2 bln in gas production
- 15:41 EU informs PM Groysman about concerns over Ukrenergo
- 15:13 Kremlin says sanctions against Ukraine not to affect Ukrainians in Russia
- 14:46 Court in Malaysia imposes RM300,000 bail on Ukrainian facing drugs charge â" media
- 14:19 Russian Orthodox Church responds to Constantinople over no-choice statement
- 13:48 Turkey's leader says signs show Khashoggi killing planned â" media
- 13:20 Kyiv sees rise in price of apartments on primary, secondary markets in Q3
- 12:55 PM Groysman rules out further increase in gas prices for households
- 12:27 Sentsov likely to win 2018 Sakharov Prize â" journalist
- 12:04 Russia furiously reacts to idea of renaming Crimea
- 11:42 Ukraine boosts fruit, berry exports by 40% in Jan-Sept
- 11:11 Russian media start dubbing Zakharchenko 'criminal' (Screenshot)
- 10:43 Explosive device found at residence of George Soros, liberal philanthropist and target of far right â" media
- 10:16 Ukraine sees 5.5% rise in retail trade in Jan-Sept
- 09:48 Environmental disaster in occupied Crimea: Titan resumes work
- 09:20 Donbas update: Ukraine reports 12 enemy attacks in past 24 hours
- 08:55 N BU strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.08 to dollar
- 02:15 Aslund: $8 bln in additional government borrowing probable after new Ukraine-IMF deal
- 01:40 FT: Ukraine plans to sell fresh dollar-denominated debt
- 01:20 OSCE monitor: Political will could end eastern Ukraine conflict quickly â" media
- 00:40 Trump threatens to build up U.S. nuclear arsenal against China, Russia â" media
- 22 October, Monday
- 23:54 Naftogaz expected to pay almost US$4.6 bln to budget in 2019
- 22:59 Montenegro, Albania, Norway, Ukraine align with EU's prolonged sanctions over Crimea, Donbas
- 21:56 Reuters: Ukraine takes Armenia and Kyrgyzstan to WTO over steel pipe duties
- 20:57 G7 Ambassadors welcome IMF-Ukraine agreement on new cooperation program
- 19:55 Ukraine interested in Australia's space-related programs
- 18:25 Ukraine to repay about US$5.5 bln in debt obligations in 2019-2020
- 17:30 Shaky alliance in support of Ukraine
- 16:50 Putin imposes sanctions against Ukraine
- 16:40 Russian FSB recruits high profile Ukrainian businessman to create political party â" SBU
- 16:20 Ukraineâs hryvnia strengthens due to new IMF program
- 16:00 Most Ukrainians say 'no' to idea of swapping Crimea for Donbas peace - Poll
- 15:40 Finland moves to boost its naval power in Baltic Sea hotspot - media
- 15:20 Swiss Supreme Court rejects Russia's complaint in dispute with Ukrnafta over property seized in Crimea
- 15:04 CN LeoGaming launched payment acceptance in favor of Viber Out in Ukraine
- 14:40 OSINT group suggests Russian security forces behind mass murder in Kerch
- 14:20 Some 42.3% of Ukrainians believe Russian-occupied Crimea to return to Ukraine â" survey
- 14:00 S&P predicts hryvnia exchange rate for next 3 years
- 13:40 New Local Orthodox Church in Ukraine: Explained
- 13:20 Gas reserves in Ukraine grow by over 9 bcm from April 9
- 13:00 S&P affirms Ukraine ratings at 'B-/B' with stable outlook
- 12:40 Ukraine builds, repairs 6,500 km of roads over 3 years â" PM Groysman
- 12:20 Toronto unveils Holodomor Memorial (Photo)
- 12:00 Kyiv Patriarchate says Constantinople will never recognize Belarusian Autocephalous Church
- 11:40 Journalist suggests "only way" to stop Putin
- 11:20 Police open criminal case over provocative anti-Hungarian billboards in Zakarpattia region
- 11:00 Expert explains Russia's glorification of eliminated Donbas terrorists
- 10:40 Fake news debunked about Ukrainian Army "deploying Polish troops to Donbas"
- 10:20 Latvian envoy explains NATO move to reinforce contingent in Baltics
- 10:00 Saudi foreign minister says killing of Khashoggi was "tremendous mistake" - CNN
- 09:40 Ukraine cooperates with int'l financial partners to pay off debts rather than accumulate them â" Groysman
- 09:20 JFO: Ukraine reports 3 WIAs in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 09:00 Moscow will regard military attack on Belarus as attack on Russia - Envoy
- 21 October, Sunday
- 23:30 Poroshenko congratulates Patriarch Filaret on 23rd anniversary of enthronement
- 22:20 Ukrainian seasonal workers in Estonia struggling to get paid - media
- 21:00 Enemy fire in Donbas wounds 3 Ukrainian soldiers on Sunday
- 19:40 Ukraine Army getting new powerful MLRS (Photo)
- 18:20 Analysis Week's balance: gas price hike, IMF agreement, and budget battles
- 17:20 Anti-sabotage drills: Ukrainian spec-op troops penetrated country's biggest ammo depots - journalist
- 16:20 Russian firms test non-dollar deals to sidestep U.S. sanctions
- 15:20 Ammo depot fire aftermath: 96% of affected area cleared, explosions stop
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine