Ukraine's Svitolina storms into WTA Finals semi
Ukraine's Svitolina storms into WTA Finals semiIt was sweet revenge for Svitolina, who won just two games against Wozniacki at last yearâs WTA Finals.REUTERS
A gutsy Elina Svitolina willed herself to the semi-finals after overcoming Caroline Wozniacki in a gruelling three-set match, knocking the defending champion out of the WTA Finals in Singapore.
The unbeaten Ukrainian outlasted Wozniacki 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 in two hours and 35 minutes to finish top of White Group, according to The World News.
Having won her opening two matches, Svitolina needed just one set to clinch her semi-finals spot, while Wozniacki required a straight sets victory.
After the Australian Open champion claimed the much-needed first set, it all came down to a pulsating 12th game of the second.
Svitolina wasted four set points but an errant forehand from Wozniacki on her fifth triggered elation from the Ukrainian.
âIt was an amazing match, she really pushed me to the limit,â Svitolina said after the match. âI tried to stay aggressive and focused on placing the ball in the right corners.â
Read alsoUkraine's tennis star Elina Svitolina beats Russia's Daria Kasatkina to retain title in Dubai
An aggressive Wozniacki made a fast start to the match and attacked Svitolinaâs serve. Underlining the tense situation, both players slugged along the baseline in long rallies with little separating them in a high-standard spectacle.
After being broken in the eighth game, Wozniacki was just three points away from elimination in the tenth but dug deep to reel off three straight games to claim the first set.
With all to play for in the second set, the standard lifted with Wozniacki hitting a sublime slice winner to hold serve in the sixth game but she couldnât convert two game points in the decisive 12th game.
Svitolina captured a break in the eighth game of the third set en route to continuing her unbeaten record in the tournament.
It was sweet revenge for Svitolina, who won just two games against Wozniacki at last yearâs WTA Finals.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 23:50 Ukraine's Svitolina storms into WTA Finals semi
- 23:10 Sentsov should be able to accept Sakharov Prize in person â" U.S. Embassy in Ukraine
- 22:30 Gas reserves in storage facilities exceed 17 bcm
- 21:45 Economy ministry eyes legalizing cryptocurrencies in Ukraine
- 21:25 "The land and the sea should burn under Russia's feet": Gerashchenko on potential UN resolutions on Ukraine
- 21:10 Situation with Ukraine "significantly worsened," Hungarian FM tells NATO chief
- 20:50 PM Groysman: Kyiv-Boryspil railbus to be launched in Nov
- 20:30 Poroshenko: EU, Ukraine to join efforts in countering Russia's âcreeping annexationâ of Azov Sea
- 19:50 Klitschko: ambulance response time in Kyiv down from 1 hour to just 10 minutes
- 19:10 Court arrests deputy chief of state-owned Oschadbank
- 18:30 Ukraine puts up for sale notorious Russian-flagged Nord vessel
- 17:50 Ukraine's central bank keeps key rate at 18%
- 16:58 European Parliament calls on EU to toughen Russia sanctions if situation in Azov Sea escalates
- 16:42 Countering smuggling in Ukraine boosts customs' daily revenue by over 31% â" PM Groysman
- 16:24 Ukraine border guards warn over 120 Russian ships deployed in Sea of Azov
- 16:06 Ukraine's GDP grows by 3.8% in Q2 â" PM Groysman
- 15:43 Ukraine's General Staff elaborates scenarios if escalation in the south
- 15:21 Russian Supreme Court upholds ruling on Panov's eight-year imprisonment (Photo)
- 14:57 IMF demands 40% increase in gas price in Ukraine â" media
- 14:29 Family caught smuggling dead relative into Ukraine by strapping her into car seat â" media
- 14:05 Sentsov awarded 2018 Sakharov Prize â" journalist
- 13:40 Hungarians in Romania apply to UN to safeguard Hungarians' rights in Ukraine's Zakarpattia
- 13:18 Ukraine' ;s deputy minister for occupied areas reveals Russia's plans for "LPR/DPR"
- 12:54 Expert names causes behind record LPG price hikes in Ukraine
- 12:26 NATO launches biggest war games since end of Cold War â" media
- 12:03 Some 146 towns and villages in Ukraine see power outages amid heavy rains
- 11:42 OSCE spots surface-to-air missile system in Russian-occupied Donbas
- 11:11 Patriarch Filaret announces criteria for independent Orthodox Church's head
- 10:47 PM Groysman says US$497.3 mln to be allocated for energy efficiency in 2019
- 10:19 Ukraine PM hopes to pass 'realistic' budget by Dec 1 â" media
- 09:48 JFO: Ukraine reports one WIA in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 09:20 NBU cuts official forex rate to UAH 28.21 to dollar
- 08:55 Reuters: Oil prices fall one percent amid global stock market slump
- 24 October, Wednesday
- 23:50 Italy not to veto prolongation of Russia sanctions â" PM Conte
- 23:20 European Parliament intends to call for toughening Russia sanctions in case of escalation in Azov Sea
- 22:40 Analysis Sanctions against Ukraine Putinâs losing bet
- 22:00 Klimkin points to potential dangers for Ukrainians staying in Belarus
- 21:20 Hungary offers to strike minority protection treaty with Ukraine
- 20:40 Kyiv Patriarchate hopes to hold Church Unification Council before year-end
- 20:00 MFA Ukraine to create "cross-border" post amid Hungary row
- 19:20 Ukraine gas reserves enough to pass cold season
- 18:40 Ukrenergo reveals offi cial position on corporatization progress
- 18:00 Explosive devices found in mail sent to Hillary Clinton, Obama
- 16:55 Naftogaz maintains gas prices for industry as of Nov 1
- 16:31 Another member of Russian-led forces eliminated in Donbas (Photo)
- 16:08 France's AXA sells insurance assets in Ukraine to Canada's Fairfax
- 15:44 Ukrainian language quotas likely to be extended to print media
- 15:17 Putin pays less attention to Ukraine, chooses new victims in Europe â" Russian politician
- 14:53 Pochettino green lights raid for brilliant Ukraine prospect â" media
- 14:26 Ukraine boosts construction works by 5.4% in Jan-Sept
- 14:02 OCCRP: Ukraine sees jump in illegal weapons sales
- 13:40 Dnipro-based Style D mulling over acquisition of Kosmo beauty retailer â" media
- 13:15 New EU funding to support water distribution, treatment in Ukraine's Mykolayiv â" media
- 12:49 "Creepy place:" Video blogger shows central park in Russian-occupied Donetsk
- 12:21 Ukraine sees retail trade grow to US$23.5 bln in Jan-Sept
- 11:58 Ban on night alcohol sales in Kyiv comes into force
- 11:34 Expert forecasts economic growth in Ukraine from 2020
- 11:07 To combat Russian subs, NATO allies teaming up to develop unmanned systems at sea â" media
- 10:43 Ukraine's army gets utility task vehicles to transport anti-tank systems (Photo)
- 10:16 One Ukrainian soldier killed in action in Donbas in past day
- 09:52 Trump says will probably meet with Russia's Putin next month â" Reuters
- 09:20 NBU cuts official forex rate to UAH 28.14 to dollar
- 00:05 Russian trolls get DM from U.S. Cyber Command: We know who you are. Stop it
- 23 October, Tuesday
- 23:50 Polish president slams Nord Stream 2 in Berlin visit
- 23:10 CSKA Moscow fans injured in Rome escalator accident (video)
- 22:30 Militarization in Azov region could lead to destabilization in Black Sea â" Mogherini
- 21:50 Industrial output in Ukraine down 1.3%
- 21:10 Ukraine's anti-corruption watchdog probing massive embezzlement from state bank: MP in focus
- 20:30 Russia reveals essence of sanctions against Ukraine
- 19:50 Ukraine, Poland foreign ministers discuss renewing search for remains of fallen Polish troops
- 19:10 Opinion Sanctions announced: How will Russia hit Ukrainian econ omy
- 18:30 Agrarian Ministry raises forecast for Ukraine's grain harvest in 2018
- 17:50 Opinion Will Rada take back Supreme Court's gift from owners of cars with EU plates?
- 16:54 Ukrainian winemakers ready to give up names 'champagne' and 'cognac'
- 16:32 Croatian peacekeeping model best for Donbas â" Ukraine's ministry for occupied areas
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine