Patriarch Filaret to ask Ukraine's parliament to rename UOC of Moscow Patriarchate
Patriarch Filaret to ask Ukraine's parliament to rename UOC of Moscow PatriarchateThe official name of an independent church will be the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church," but it also will be known as the "Kyiv Patriarchate," Filaret said.Photo from UNIAN
Head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate (UOC-KP) Filaret has said he will appeal to the Verkhovna Rada, Ukraine's parliament, with a request to pass a law on a single local church in Ukraine, as well as to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate into the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine.
"We will be striving to have a single Orthodox Church in Ukraine and to make sure that the Russian [Orthodox] Church is not hiding under the Ukrainian name while, in essence, it is Russian," he said in an exclusive interview to Radio Liberty.
Read alsoPatriarch Filaret: Process of granting autocephaly to UOC irreversible
Once the Istanbul-based Ecumenical Patriarchate delivers a formal decree on the Kyiv Patriarchate's independence from Moscow, Filaret said that "the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate will no longer have the right to be called the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
"Instead, it will be named as the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine," Filaret said.
He said the official name of an independent church will be the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church," but it also will be known as the "Kyiv Patriarchate."
As UNIAN reported earlier, on October 11, following a meeting of the Synod, a decision was announced, stating that the Ecumenical Patriarchate proceeds to granting autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine.
In addition, the legal binding of the Synod's letter of 1686 was abolished, thus taking the Kyiv Metropolis from under Moscow's canonical jurisdiction. Also, head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate (UOC-KP) Filaret and head of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC) Makariy were reinstated in their canonical status.
On October 12, the UOC-KP urged the hierarchs of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate (UOC-MP) to prepare for a special unification council.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 18:27 Saakashvili says he wants to return to Georgia â" media
- 17:08 Patriarch Filaret to ask Ukraine's parliament to re name UOC of Moscow Patriarchate
- 15:32 Twitter deletes over 10,000 accounts that sought to discourage U.S. voting â" media
- 14:11 IMF team to visit Ukraine to discuss draft budget for 2019
- 13:09 Poroshenko, Bartholomew sign cooperation agreement between Ukraine and Ecumenical Patriarchate (Photo)
- 12:13 Russian propagandists actively spreading another lie about "Ukrainian fascists" in Italy â" expert
- 11:06 JFO: Ukraine reports 22 enemy attacks in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 09:54 NBU strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.12 to dollar for Nov 5
- 01:25 Poroshenko: 22 new flights launched from Ukrainian airports within one week
- 00:15 President of European Council Tusk to meet Poroshenko in Helsinki on Nov 8
- 02 November, Friday
- 23:27 OSCE SMM's drone comes under fire in Russian-occupied Donbas again
- 22:35 Retrial of Ukrainian political prisoner Hryb in Russia scheduled for Nov 6
- 20:58 U.S. Embassy in Kyiv calls on Ukraine authorities to thoroughly investigate crimes against journalists
- 19:55 U.S. prepared to launch cyberattack on Russia in case of new elections meddling â" media
- 18:57 Russian-occupied Donetsk rocked by explosion on Friday afternoon â" social media
- 17:59 RFE/RL: No 2019 Eastern Partnership Summit foreseen in busy post-Brexit EU
- 16:50 Skripal poisoning suspect's colleague from GRU found in Latvia - media
- 16:40 Kremlin doesn't consider Sushchenko swap for Vyshinsky
- 16:30 Raw video shows positions of Russian proxy forces in Donbas destroy ed in powerful airstrike
- 16:20 NBU expects to reduce inflation to 5% in 2020
- 16:10 Russian troops to be included in "voter lists" in Donbas â" Ukraine intel
- 16:00 BBC finds private messages from 81,000 hacked Facebook accounts put up for sale
- 15:40 NBU expects Ukrainians' labor migration to Poland to decline in medium term
- 15:20 Ukraine's gas output grows by over 0.9% to 17.3 bcm in Jan-Oct
- 15:00 Ukrposhta's anti-crisis plan: Dismiss 30% of administrative staff except top managers
- 14:40 Ukraine reduces gas imports by 22.4% in Jan-Oct 2018
- 14:20 NBU worsens forecast of Ukrainian international reserves
- 14:00 Kharkiv Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church pledges loyalty to Moscow Patriarchate
- 13:40 Man killed in grenad e blast in Kyiv
- 13:20 National Bank believes Russian sanctions no threat to Ukraine's financial system
- 13:00 Crimean Tatars' Mejlis schedules conference in Kyiv for Nov 12
- 12:40 Opinion How could Russian sanctions be beneficial to Ukraine
- 12:20 Revenue of Ukraine budget for 10 months grows by 15.4% y-o-y
- 12:00 Ukraine sees record high natural gas reserves in USFs as of Nov
- 11:40 Ukraine-Qatar visa-free travel deal comes into force Nov 2
- 11:20 Ukraine's revenue from agriexports estimated at $13 bln in Jan-Sept
- 11:00 PM Groysman: Trade between Ukraine and Germany may hit EUR 10 bln per year
- 10:40 Ukraine Army conducts large-scale missile drills near Crimea (Photos)
- 10:20 Czech PM says he dislikes UN migration pact, wants to pull out - Reuters
- 10:00 Kremlin: Sanctions against Ukraine to "encourage normalization of bilateral relations"
- 09:40 Traitors or Russian agents? Clergy caught in Ukraine church row
- 09:20 Donbas war update: Ukraine reports one KIA, two WIAs in past day
- 09:00 MFA Ukraine sees Russia's sanctions as continuation of aggression
- 04:15 OSCE monitors record about 133 explosions in Donbas within 24 hours
- 03:47 Germany to push for extension of Russia sanctions over Crimea, Donbas â" Chancellor Merkel
- 02:58 Poroshenko: No one doubts it is Russia that escalates conflict in Donbas
- 01:15 U.S. Energy Secretary Perry to visit Ukraine and Poland â" U.S. media
- 00:58 Sentsov in letter to human rights activist: "I feel better, much better"
- 01 November, Thursday
- 23:59 'Hunter Killer' premiere canceled in Russia, Ukraine â" media
- 23:35 Ihor Kolomoisky: Kremlin's sanctions list edited on Bankova Street in Kyiv
- 22:50 Reuters: Germany, France blame Moscow for downing of OSCE drone over eastern Ukraine
- 21:35 WOG builds some of gas stations, using Firtash's funds â" media
- 20:56 Britain's Mark Etherington re-joins OSCE SMM as Deputy Chief Monitor
- 19:51 Merkel not as critical of Nord Stream 2 as Kyiv's leaders
- 17:58 Merkel: UN peacekeeping mission should be created to achieve peace in Donbas
- 16:40 Ukraine outlook bolstered by renewed IMF cooperation â" EBRD
- 16:30 Video released of Soyuz launcher crash
- 16:20 Inept plot to bring down Robert Mueller falls apart
- 16:00 UEFA receives bid from Kharkiv to host 2021 Super Cup
- 15:40 Ukrainian Treasury's balance estimated at US$520.6 mln as of Nov 1
- 15:20 Russian Finance Ministry may alter Ukraine sanctions list â" resolution
- 15:00 Ukrainian Orthodox Church trying to withdraw from Moscowâs control: Kremlin not happy.
- 14:40 Life expectancy in Ukraine shows timid growth â" Research
- 14:20 Promo video for Ukraine's Ground Forces earns media praise
- 14:00 Hug: Donbas conflict can only be resolved "at the table"
- 13:40 Infrastructure ministry initiates bill to grant Ukrposhta exclusive right to deliver parcels under 10 kg
- 13:20 Cabinet appoints new head of Ukraine Pension Fund
- 13:00 Independent memb ers should form majority in state banks' supervisory boards â" Poroshenko
- 12:40 Ukrainian banks increase profits eightfold
- 12:20 Poroshenko urges Ukraine's parliament to speed up consideration of business ombudsman bill
- 12:00 Landline phone services grow in price from Nov 1
- 11:40 Trump's associate Rudy Giuliani travels to Russia, Armenia and Ukraine â" media
- 11:20 "Tug-Tooth" strikes again: Ukrainian takes bite out of record book â" RFE/RL
- 11:00 Gas price for households in Ukraine grows by almost quarter Nov 1
- 10:40 Russia introduces new sanctions against Ukraine
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Ukraine | Netizen 24 Ukraine